cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
hi i have a fortec 5100 and i have hit astra but want to hit hotbird i have a meter sat finder a cheap jobby off ebay 9.99 and justs has signal all the time any help would be helpfull ie what way to pushdish for hotbird how to use meter and so on. i am awaiting my motor to come and any help would be gratefully received its a disceq

Regards Jason

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A bit of trial and error needed here. Connect your meter i/p to your receiver, o/p to your LNB. Power up your receiver, move the dish mounting round the pole about 6 degrees clockwise which will swing your dish a few inches westward. Now move your dish up an inch at a time until the audio from your meter rises and peaks.

May have to do both adjustments several times, but Hotbird is difficult to miss.
Check the HB transponders on your receiver to make sure you have this satellite.

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'd advise reading a good dish setup FAQ from the relevant section here.

It's the hardest thing to accomplish when you don't understand what you're doing, and the easiest thing when you do.

Hotbird will probably be a little bit higher in the sky than Astra.

Either punch your postcode into streetmap.co.uk, and use the convert link under the resulting map, or substitute your 6-digit OS grid ref XXXXXX,YYYYYY into...

_http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?name=XXXXXX,YYYYYY&type=OSGrid

...to get your Lat and Long. These form the basis for your dish setup geometry.

Assuming that there is a sensitivity control on your meter, you should set the the needle to half way, then max the signal by adjusting the dish, then reset to half way, then adjust the dish etc. etc. until you are all maxed out.

:D

Ooops, sorry Llew, I obviously type slower than you...

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
LOL, Stick, just wanted to give a temporary fix until it's done properly :)

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
throw a wet towel over half the dish, the gain will be reduced sufficiently to give a reading on the meter

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
hello everyone
my disceq 2.1 arrived today got in on the wall with dish i can get astra 28 how do i go about getting rest of sats. i have fortec 5100 and a technomate 1000 to setup with the reason for both is one will go my office shortly please any help will gratefully recieved need to get up and running as soon as and spend sometime watching it. many thanks
cmc

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
also what is best for sci fi channels and kids many thanks in advance

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
Llew said:
As BGonaStick has advised, read the 'Howto' guide e.g. -

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471

and the relevant section of your manual regarding positioner setting for Diseqc setup.

Any points you need to bring up, I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Llew
i would read manual but my daughter has put through washing machine and my LAN Tester trying to find manual on web put will not let me download problem with page. As for the Technomate i need to setup at my office to show clients home automation through a plasma ie there is a reader in the office and the plasma and cctv door entry comes to life will the dish from my old sky be ok for the job just to pick up any FTA channels as size will be important at the office location

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Blimey! Say that again slowly O-Ha

You can use your $ky dish if you want, but reading something like the FAQ/How-to here is the only way to get your motorised dish set up properly yourself. There really aren't any shortcuts outside of getting a pro in to do it for loadsamoney.

We'll field any questions that are not covered in the guide, or specifics you can't understand.

STICK

wingman182

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
XCAM
CAS INTERFACE 2
Jason

I have a fortec star too and recieving hotbird6 and astra. I am using 2 LMB`s on one 90cm in a fixed position and it seems fine so i dont think you need a motorized dish. The hotbird lmb is positioned in the center of the dish and I have astra on the left handside (if looking in front of the dish). I also used a cheap jobby sat finder and its a matter of shouting to someone in the house to see the signal bars.

good luck mate

cmcnetworks said:
hi i have a fortec 5100 and i have hit astra but want to hit hotbird i have a meter sat finder a cheap jobby off ebay 9.99 and justs has signal all the time any help would be helpfull ie what way to pushdish for hotbird how to use meter and so on. i am awaiting my motor to come and any help would be gratefully received its a disceq

Regards Jason