Fortecfstar Passion and Freesat

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion HD 83cm Dish
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Hi, I am a complete novice with satellite! I bought a Fortecstar Passion HD STB and 46cm dish, + a FSKUVN LNB from Maplin (all as a complete package) The STB was supposed to be set up to receive Freesat,(major selling point) and I had heard it would work in the South of France (Sainte Maxime). I have tried to set it up, although I can see no sign of Freesat or Astra 2D, only obtaining listings for Astra 2A FTV. Although it shows the listings, when I try to get a signal, all I get is "NO Audio No Video" although the meters for signal/quality on the tv show 65%/55%
I have contacted both Maplin and Foretecstar. The first I telephoned and went through £10 in very few minutes on Skype, and received no help. Fortecstar have still to reply to my e-mail of 3+ weeks ago. Can anyone give me some useful help please :confused

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Consider going for a bigger dish - 1M or larger for 24/7 reception of 2D in your location. There are reports of 60cm sky dishes being suitable, but that will depend on favourable conditions (weather, exact location re south of France).

Llew

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Thanks for that Llew, I will give it a try, although still no idea how to get Astra 2 D to show via the STB. All I get showing is Astra 2 A and the FTA channels, although I can't receive picture of any of them. I can receive all the rest of the rubbish though ie Arabic/bad Italian etc :-(

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
You're almost certainly pointing at the wrong satellite. Can you post a frequency on which you are receiving one of those foreign channels?

nebeluk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ste.Maxime, Var ,France
Llew said:
You're almost certainly pointing at the wrong satellite. Can you post a frequency on which you are receiving one of those foreign channels?
Thanks again Llew. Hmmmmmm, might be able to if I knew what you were talking about :-) How would I do that? As I said, total novice here with sat setup. I got the settings for this area online, used the compass rose .jpg, rotated the lnb, set the angle, and listened to a gadget squealing its highest pitch...as I said, it showed 65/55 signal/quality onscreen. If I went slightly off, I got "no signal" if I got it spot on with the "squealer" all I got was "no audio/no video for any FTA channels from UK. That was on Astra 2 A, but no sign of Astra 2 D in the list of availoable satellites:-(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
nebeluk said:
I got the settings for this area online, used the compass rose .jpg, rotated the lnb, set the angle, and listened to a gadget squealing its highest pitch...as I said, it showed 65/55 signal/quality onscreen. If I went slightly off, I got "no signal" if I got it spot on with the "squealer" all I got was "no audio/no video for any FTA channels from UK. That was on Astra 2 A, but no sign of Astra 2 D in the list of availoable satellites:-(

Nobody is disputing that you have found a satellite but there a lots of satellites available and a lot of cross frequencies between those available satellites.
I suggest you do as Llew says and post the name of some of the channels you can receive and their respective polarisation H or V FEC rate and SR

Click here for a list of available channels at that location 28.2 East

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
On the Passion, to check the frequency of a channel you are receiving, look at the display as shown in my thumbnail picture.

As Topper says, check with the Lyngsat list (I suspect it'll be one in either the Hotbird or Astra 19E section).

Attachments

• S-Video-2008-07-15_01-39-01h 2.jpg
    S-Video-2008-07-15_01-39-01h 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 49