fortecstar fsmci-6000

slimsim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
diablo light cam cas3+ interface fortec star 5100 ultra astra dish
My Location
sheffield england
i have been given this box but when i plug it in nothing lights up all i can hear is a ticking sound coming from the side where the power cable goes in, i have taken the lid off and the fuse is ok i take it the sound is coming from the power supply part of the unit can this be repaired or is in to be binned any help would be very welcome

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
As an ex-TV repairer, I can give you some info.

It can be repaired.

It's most likely a SMPS (switch mode power supply), therefore

The problem will possibly be the low value start up capacitors that are at fault.

These can be replaced but would strongly recommend you send it to a repair engineer.

Hope this helps :)

slimsim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield england
thanks for the reply, as iam ok with a soldering iron i would like to attempt a repair myself, do you have any further information as to which capacitors are to be replaced as i will be able to source these either from ebay or my local maplin store. thanks for your help so far

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I would suggest a visual check first, to see if any electrolytic caps (the large tubular ones) are bulging or losing their electrolyte.

Without an ESR meter though, it's difficult to check them as they may still show correct capacitance.

Llew

slimsim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield england
i have checked inside and the caps seem ok no bulging etc all seems ok visualy, as iam learning about electronics and how to test them can you give me any pointers how to proceed, with out shocking myself, thanks so far for the answers

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
slimsim said:
i have checked inside and the caps seem ok no bulging etc all seems ok visualy, as iam learning about electronics and how to test them can you give me any pointers how to proceed, with out shocking myself, thanks so far for the answers

Do you have any electronic background / repair experience?

Diving into an electronic circuit without knowing what the basics are is not advisable really.

But, if you want to risk it then you are looking for low value caps, ie, 1uF, 10uf, 22uf on the start up circuit of the SMPS. The fault can occur if the receiver has been un plugged for a long period.

Saying this it could be a number of things in the PSU. I have even seen a tuner fault pull down the PSU and prevent powering up.

A circuit diagram would be an advantage here.

Hope this helps:)

slimsim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield england
thanks for the info, i have looked on the board and i can see 2 caps that are 1uf 50v , one 33uf 50v and one 47uf 50v all the others are 220 and above, but they are all in different places on the board the name on the boars is samwon STY-01040 rev E 020729.
the 33uf 50v one is in like a differnt bit of the circuit board that has what looks like a rope around it that is printed on the board

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
It's hard to say without seeing it.

Take it into a TV repair shop and they will repair it for you.

Even without a circuit diagram any decent repair engineer should be able to fix it assuming it's a PSU start up problem.

Sorry I can't help you further.

Good luck :)

manning3000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pansat
My Location
Canada
It could be your box is shot and it need to be Jtag to bring it back to life
regular problem with the fortec box i should know it happend with mine several time

slimsim

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sheffield england
thanks for the replys, i have now got it sorted it was a capasitor problem after doing some checks i found the culprit replaced it and it worked, dont know for how long buts its up and running now all i need is a motorised dish and all will be well