My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
Skymaster 60cmdish
HH90 Stab Motor
0.3db Fortec Star LNB
NEC VT660 Projector
My Location
Liverpool
Has anyone purchaced the Passion HD box from Maplin ?
Bought mine 5 weeks ago, and even though the picture quality is excellent, the damn thing locks up, freezes or just reboots its self.
Have updated the software to that dated 29 Aug 07 but has made no difference. It did add RGB to output option on the Scart , but if you set this for TV you loose output from the component video outputs, which I am using for a HD projector.
Also added POWER SEARCH but have no idea what that does and an email to Fortec has given no answer.
The channel backup/recovery does not work, after a software update I had to rescan 19 sats :mad:
Anyone else have these experiences ?
Can anyone recommend a cam to go with this box, and what will I get ?

aikon0029

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Prescott (3.20 Ghz)
Memory 1024 MB DDR RAM - (2x 512 MB - PC3200)
Motherboard ECS 915P-M3
Hard Drive 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA 6B300S0 Skystar 2 usb 1.1mtr steerable dish Manhattan XT[CM, Quali 1080ir
My Location
London [South East]
stevesat8 said:
Has anyone purchaced the Passion HD box from Maplin ?
Bought mine 5 weeks ago, and even though the picture quality is excellent, the damn thing locks up, freezes or just reboots its self.
Have updated the software to that dated 29 Aug 07 but has made no difference. It did add RGB to output option on the Scart , but if you set this for TV you loose output from the component video outputs, which I am using for a HD projector.
Also added POWER SEARCH but have no idea what that does and an email to Fortec has given no answer.
The channel backup/recovery does not work, after a software update I had to rescan 19 sats :mad:
Anyone else have these experiences ?
Can anyone recommend a cam to go with this box, and what will I get ?
Hi M8 may I suggest you go to Hi Definition TV & AV section, then look in the list headed Hi Definition Recievers, there are a few posts about the Passion receiver there and if you post your question there somebody will possibly be able to help you.

fortechd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star passion hd
My Location
uk
Download the update to 1.5 from the Fortec site, this wil make alot of difference to the receiver.

The update will also fix the Power Search. This is a handy utility that apparently will automatically scan for new channels after the receiver has been on standby for a set period. The settings are only visible when you update to the 1.5 version.

The passion has very little glitches but it is a superb receiver with the best Colour I have ever seen (and that's on standard definition). I can't wait to see the HD images when I get my new telly!

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
I have just purchased the Passion.
How can I tell what version of the software I have loaded?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Menu -

Across to third picture to System Settings -

Down to Other Settings -

Down to System Information -

Press OK.

Llew

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
Llew said:
Menu -

Across to third picture to System Settings -

Down to Other Settings -

Down to System Information -

Press OK.

Llew

Thank You Llew

I get

Loader version v1.4.0
Software version v1.0.7
Software Date 15/nov/2007 ?

What next?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Thank You.

Funnily enuf, I have just been reading that thread.
Though I am still baffled by much of the terminology?

I now want to know what next to buy to get the best from this box.
A Cam? Diablo? and then do I need anything else, or download anything else?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A Diablo or Dragon/TRex cam will work OK in the Passion. You'll need a programmer to keep the files on the cam up to date if you're considering opening non-FTA channels.

Best programmer for either cam is the CAS 3+. Check _www.duolabs.com for info on this.

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've moved the thread to the more appropriate HD section.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
I assume I need a
Cam
Card
Programmer

What can I expect to reasonably pay for the aforementioned items?

And another question...

Since I replaced the deceased SL65 with the Passion, (the dish was aimed at Astra 28e), When I tried to move to other satellites, I could not get any signals, and had to manually move back to the Astra 28e signal.

Does this mean I have to reset the dish to Thor which is south of me, and start again for this new receiver?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Expect to pay anything up to £100 for the cam and CAS programmer together. Check out our sponsors, or you might find a cheaper deal on fleabay. The Diablo doesn't need a card to assist in programming the cam, but you can only program it with a Duolabs CAS interface. The Dragon/TRex uses a loader card (comes with the cam) and can be programmed with, say, an Infinity USB Phoenix programmer (cheaper than a CAS interface), but if you are just starting from scratch I would choose the more versatile CAS, which will do most cams, including the Dragon or TRex.

Yes, you will have to set up your dish as per the manual's instructions, again using Thor as your reference satellite.

Llew

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
I see some of the cams are wireless?
Do I need that?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No, useful I suppose if you want to share any subs cards you have remotely (another receiver or internet.)

Don't have one myself (just a Diablo Lite) so don't know what else it can do.

HDTVIRL

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion
Diablo CAM Lite
Cas3+ Programmer
Wirless Logger
My Location
ie
I have a FSP-HD, purchased before Xmas great picture and features I have not had the lockup issues others have commented on.

Today I received mY Diablo CAM Lite and CAS3+ Programmer which I purchased last Friday 4.00pm and it was delivered to Ireland this morning from HISAT.COM great service.

I am totally at sea with it No documentation for either the CAM or the Programmer I Downloaded the manual for the programmer and got it working with my laptop but what do I do with them now, I have no idea what I am looking for in either the Programmer or the CAM, looked at some web sites and they don't give any indication of what I should do.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

HDTVIRL

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Hey that was gonna be my next question, after I bought the very same or similar?

In laymans language Please :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
mick2me said:
I replaced the deceased SL65 with the Passion, (the dish was aimed at Astra 28e), When I tried to move to other satellites, I could not get any signals, and had to manually move back to the Astra 28e signal.

Does this mean I have to reset the dish to Thor which is south of me, and start again for this new receiver?

Llew said:
Yes, you will have to set up your dish as per the manual's instructions, again using Thor as your reference satellite.
Llew

Well I've been out most of this afternoon.

Re set the Passion to factory default to get rid of the Astra channels and any other settings.

Went outside re set the dish motor to the '0' position.
Pointed the dish due south of me looking for THOR (which is due south).

Set the Passion satellite setting to Thor.

Waggled the dish about, Waggled the dish about quite a bit.

Got some strong signals on the Satfinder in line with the dish and motor.

Checked on the receiver, No signal?

Changed the Sat on the reciever till I did get a signal.
Managed to pick up signals for other sats but no signal due south for THOR?

I assume all the settings the passion assigns for THOR are correct?

But if I set the Passion for THOR, should the Satfinder register signals for other sats?

Not finding THOR signal, is it still transmitting?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Sorry for the BUMP

Still not found THOR, back on the ladder this morning, now the rain has stopped!

But when the reciever is set to THOR, should the Sat Finder respond to signals from other satellites?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, as far as the finder is concerned, it's just using the power from your box to operate, whatever sat you are on.

Don't know why you can't find Thor, must be your dish alignment.

Llew