Forum Downtime.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Many of you will have noticed that the forum has been down for some of the past 24hrs, nothing serious, at least nothing that a reboot of the server couldn't fix. We apologise if any posts were lost during the problem period.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Reference the above, this seems to be a recurring problem and would appear to be to do with excessive load during certain peak times.

We are looking into possible remedies and hopefully an answer will be found shortly.

Those of you that use avatars, particularly the animated Gifs, may want to see if they are available on www.gifs.net or any other gif server and link to that, alternatively copy and upload to your own web space and link accordingly. This should reduce bandwidth use on the server and may reduce the instances of downtime.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like the problem may be with the amount of available RAM on the server, apparently at some peak times there are huge numbers of people accessing at the same time, which is causing the failures.

We have written to Clive Sinclair to see if he can provide an upgrade to the ZX Spectrum we are using, and await his reply. :)

More seriously though, I believe an upgrade should be carried out in the next couple of days which should ensure continued availability.

Rolf

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
The problem is down to lack of available RAM, we are currently running on 128 MB and I've just put a request in to upgrade to 256 MB , this should be done in the next 24 hours so hopefully then no more down time.

thanks
Chris

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I've got a ZDX in my loft if it'd any use, rolf. I've been looking for a home for it for 20 years.

wolsty

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Crumbs Wolsty, it's good to see that there's someone who hoards nearly as much as me :)

Rolf

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
The RAMs out of stock till mid next week so it looks like off & on until then. But it's on order.

Sorry

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't be helped Chris, if it's not available, it's not available. As long as there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Rolf