lindasnephew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
previous occupants skydish
found skybox
random skycard.
My Location
Cambridgeshire
I must firstly apoligise for what is probably a post in the wrong topic, i could not find a topic directly applicable to my thread and so picked what i deemed to be the nearest.. sorry if i offend.

I have a question regarding some recently aquired sky equipment.

basically i just moved in with my dad after my parents split and we have a sky dish their, no box or anything, just a dish. i popped round my mums new place and her previous occupant left behind a pace sky digibox complete with blue viewing card and remote.. i've hooked this in to the dish at my place and to my surprise and delight.. its working..

have i just obtained free sky? am i gonna have the secret service kicking my door through for stealing sky? or am i just getting lucky for a short period until sky catch on?

any light shed on the situation would be most appreciated.

thanks

James

scorpion100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
p4 and fta reciever
no mate..you are just watchingi would presume fta (FREE TO AIR) channels which is 100 % legal..so i wouldnt bother if i was you...go to e*bay ands you can see 100 of digboxes sold there ...that is my 2 cents :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the box was disconnected immediately after the previous owners cancelling, then you may get subscription channels for a couple of days or more, but they will gradually disappear.

If all you are getting are the terrestrial channels plus Sky3 and around forty other non-mainstream channels, then you are just receiving the freeview/freesat channels, which is what a cancelled card is supposed to see (as scorpion100 says above).

lindasnephew

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
previous occupants skydish
found skybox
random skycard.
My Location
Cambridgeshire
im not just getting free-to-air channels though.. thats whats wierd..

i tried plugging it all in with no card and it gave me free to air and the other channels said please insert your viewing card.. i switched off, inserted card and switched on and i can get every single channel i.e mtv, mtv2, sky one, paramount comedy etc.. theres not a single channel that dosn't work..

is this likely to be a short term thing that i should enjoy while its here or a long term freebie i will learn to enjoy?

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
seems to be an old subscription card - so don't worry - it will switch itself off once the subscription is terminated. You will still get all of the FTA channels, though, plus Channel 4 and Five (FTV channels) if you keep the card inserted.
enjoy it while it lasts.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You can lower the chance of the card being downgraded sooner rather than later by pulling the card out overnight. It won't completely eliminate it as eventually the card will catch the message during the daytime.

Also, the cards need a "stay alive" message otherwise they switch off completely. This can take up to 4 or 5 weeks but once it happens you will have to return the card overnight to the Digibox to recover. When the card comes back it'll be the equivalent to an FTV card.

If the card downgrades to an FTV card then just leave it plugged in permanently to get its stay alive signal.