France 1, France 2 and France 3

ade234uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Installing first time.
My Location
Brighton
Can you please tell me what position I need to point the sat at, to get the french channels. Is it Hotbird, Astra 19.2 or Astra 28?

Also can you please tell me how I unscramble these channels, as I am sure these have always been scrambled.

Could I buy a french receiver, would this solve the issue?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
They are all transmitted in the clear in analogue on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5W.

France 2 3 &5 are also in the clear in digital on 5W.

Digital TF1 is not transmitted in the clear anywhere and if you want to watch it you will have to subscribe to a package.

ade234uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Installing first time.
My Location
Brighton
Ok, that sounds good. So this is analogue only not digital?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - however the analogue transmissions are under sentence of death. They will probably be discontinued in 2011. They feed the analogue tv transmitter network and thats scheduled for final switch off in late 2011.

If you have contacts in France you might want to get them to get you a Fransat box (free digital but the tranmissions are scrambled).

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Theres, the TNT sat package on 19E which needs a TNTsat box and card from France. Cheaper from France but can be bought from uk suppliers including site sponsors.

There is also the ABsat package on 13E Hotbird, which will give you the French Terrestrial channels if a French address is supplied. It doesn't need a dedicated rceiver, but needs a Viaccess CAM. At least two of the site sponsors sell this package. It is approx £99 for a year.

mbahundra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Beta receiver
My Location
London
Spotted this thread and jumping in - I wanted to point my (sky) dish at Atlantic Bird 3 last year but it was frustratingly just around the corner of my house. I was about to go out and buy a longer pole to get the dish up over the roof line when a satellite installer turned up to fit a dish for the neighbour. I asked him (just checking) if the sky dish was big enough to pick up the French channels (super beam) on AB3. He said no, so, trusting him, I gave up.

I've now moved, and want to try again; but what size dish do I need? According to the Lyngsat maps, a Sky dish IS big enough - I'm in the south of England and 50 cm seems more than adequate. Am I mistaken? Was the techie right? Should I get something bigger? All I want's the bundle on 11591 (France 2, 3, 5 and Arte).

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
mbahundra said:
Spotted this thread and jumping in - I wanted to point my (sky) dish at Atlantic Bird 3 last year but it was frustratingly just around the corner of my house. I was about to go out and buy a longer pole to get the dish up over the roof line when a satellite installer turned up to fit a dish for the neighbour. I asked him (just checking) if the sky dish was big enough to pick up the French channels (super beam) on AB3. He said no, so, trusting him, I gave up.

I've now moved, and want to try again; but what size dish do I need? According to the Lyngsat maps, a Sky dish IS big enough - I'm in the south of England and 50 cm seems more than adequate. Am I mistaken? Was the techie right? Should I get something bigger? All I want's the bundle on 11591 (France 2, 3, 5 and Arte).

That Installer was talking out of his black hole!

AB3 is marginally the strongest Satellite receivable in the UK: It's EIRP over much of the UK exceeds that of Astra 2!

You can get it full bore with a tiny dish. We have a dedicated Sky Zone 1 for it (Although you can't get the correct skew owing to the nutty design of "Sky" LNBs! Well you can, but only by skewing the entire dish - but you don't actually need to anyway).

mbahundra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Well, that's what I thought, but you don't like to argue with a man with tools... And since we were about to move anyway.

Is there anything else I need to know? I've got a receiver (bottom of the range Fortec Star), will a similar dish and LNB do the job?

Thanks.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
For the basic French FTA channels on AB3 which is on the super beam, yes it does appear that the size is OK, the problem you have is that a sky dish is manufactured to work on 28.2/5 East and thus the fixed lnb skew of a sky dish is incorrect for the opposite skew required for AB3. There are plenty of threads about it like this

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/digital-systems/150506-french-television.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...-west-french-channels-not-being-received.html

Suggest you type in AB3 French in the forum search engine

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
mbahundra said:
Well, that's what I thought, but you don't like to argue with a man with tools... And since we were about to move anyway.

Is there anything else I need to know? I've got a receiver (bottom of the range Fortec Star), will a similar dish and LNB do the job?

Thanks.

No problems - and as per my previous Post, the limitation of using a Sky LNB, whilst theoretically incorrect, will not present a practical difficulty at all. Just set it to position "1" and forget it.

mbahundra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I don't have a dish at all at the moment, so I'll just get a cheapie from Argos

eg

_http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5220081/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/Trail/searchtext%3ESATELLITE.htm

and an LNB

_http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=5150924&Submit=GO+%3E. Which won't break the bank :)

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mvision HD-270CN Sly oval and 80cm through Diseqc for astra 28.2 and 19.2. Technomate 6900 combo and Metronic for other rooms. Optical Audio for 5.1 through Technics receiver.
My Location
Lincolnshire
My wife is French SO.....I bought a cheap 80cm dish and universal lnb from ebay then got myself a tripod to see if it would work with my cheap Technomate. Worked first time 79% receception. Ive now got it on a bespoke pole with a DiSEqC motor from Maplins... also worked first time on all satellites apart from Hispasat and anything else east as the neighbours house is in the way. Grrr. Good look and dont be put off, it really is simple.

mbahundra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Yeah, my wife's French, too. The things we do...

roaduser

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Mvision HD-270CN Sly oval and 80cm through Diseqc for astra 28.2 and 19.2. Technomate 6900 combo and Metronic for other rooms. Optical Audio for 5.1 through Technics receiver.
My Location
Lincolnshire
I meant anything West. Im off to Cheese and Wine land on the 19th Dec so Im going to see about a TNTsat box as TF1 is missing which is like our BBC1. If not a Bis card, not sure about the HD channels, Im still learning.