Fransat dish realignment

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Ohh sorry the receiver with the fluctuating quality is at hispasat 30w, and the reciever that I first mentioned on the thread is pointed at eutelsat 5w

keenite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA receiver
My Location
Berlin, GErmany
It will definitely work, not all stations are encrpyted on 5W, all French stations highlighted in yellow here are FTA:
http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-5-West-A.html
The RAI stations are broadcast via another standard that cannot be picked up by normal sat receivers.
FYI, if you haven't already, additional French stations that are not included in the Fransat packagage can be tuned in on
12690 V, 27500

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Oh cool thanks :D I don't know if I said but although the quality reading fluctuates madly the picture is crystal clear (on the hispasat), does that make a difference?

keenite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA receiver
My Location
Berlin, GErmany
There are no overhanging trees, electrical wires or other impediments between the dish and the sky?
Is the dish securely anchored so that it is impervious to wind?
Are the arm holding the LNB and the LNB holder all securely fastened?
Is the wire coming out of the LNB hanging loose, or fastened to the dish so it does not dangle in the wind?
Logically, these fluctuations would be the result of wind impacting some component(s) of your dish setup, OR, your receiver has had a hernia...
Is there only one LNB on this dish, what are the LNB settings on your receiver?

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
You guys were right - all channels have just gone and the box is restarting trying to find a signal

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok I called out the installer today and he checked all connections, replaced the lnb and realigned the dish and the signal quality is still bad and fluctuating, the signal strength is fine. I really can't work this out, the picture seems to be better and as of him leaving there is no pixelation, while the french dish has completely gone and so he will need to come round again to fix that :( I really hate satellite dishes sometimes

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Do you guys think now that he's fixed it the hispasat will be okay? I have noticed an improvement since my last post when i restarted the box and gave it time to start up - the quality now doesn't fluctuate as much - it is in the red zone when it is raining and the middle yellow zone when it is not, the picture is fine so far, except when I change channels when it pixelates slightly as before. The french @ eutelsat 5 is fine in clear weather at 50 quality, but in rain it goes to 40 and no signal is received, at least last night anyway, I guess I will definitely have to get the guy to fix that :( maybe the quality is still bad on the hispasat because of the lnb skew but he said he fixed it. Edit: I contacted him and he said as hispasat is a low satellite in the sky, the quality will always be less than higher satellites. Is this correct? Even so, im bamboozled as to why the picture is fine even though the quality is bad (signal strength is full though) Thanks for answering before guys, you really helped me :D

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Can you take a picture of your dish(es) - preferably from behind? I have a hard time imagining it...

It's definitely a signal issue, could be anything - LNB, alignment, cable, line of sight. Any half-decent installer should be able to sort that - these are strong satellites in UK and you should have very few problems receiving these.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Where in UK are you?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Captain Jack said:
Can you take a picture of your dish(es) - preferably from behind? I have a hard time imagining it...
Me too CJ....Pandarock, do you have three seperate dishes? One for Sky, and one each for 5°W and 30°W?....or some different arrangement?.....5°W is a very strong signal and if you are losing it in rain there's something wrong. Similarly, Hispasat is strong too though where the satellite is placed in the arc makes no difference to strength unless you have an obstruction because it's slightly lower than others.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
I'm near Cambridge, and I do have three separate dishes. This is strange, he took lots of time getting the signal right on both :(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Do you know what meter he is using ?

I'm wondering if he might be going for a general signal from the 5W position, rather a specific frequency that can be dialed in.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
No sorry I don't, here are some picturesimage.jpgimage.jpg the satellite on the left is 5 w and the one on the right is hispasat 30w

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
OK, let's start from the beginning:

1) Do you have any issues with your 30W dish?
2) Do you have good signal from 30W if you connect your 5W Fransat receiver to it?
3) Do you have good signal from 5W if you connect your Hispasat receiver to it?

Pictures show that the dishes seem to be Zone 2 Sky dishes, which should be large enough for both satellites if aligned correctly. I am not sure about the LNBs there - they seem to be non-Sky dish LNBs which could be a mismatch for the dish, though the likelyhood of that causing your problems is low.

Do you have a closer picture of your 5W dish from behind? There's a tree in front of it but 5W is quite high in the sky and the tree is some distance so I don't believe it would cause you problems. Though it's hard to judge.

What kind of signal did the installer have on his meter? Like CH says, the meter can matter in this case as there are a few close proximity satellites up there. There's 4W, 5W and 7W. If he was using a cheap meter which only shows STRENGTH and not quality, then he may have aligned the dish somewhere between 5W and 7W, which would give you a combination of both satellites "power".

Can you take a long-ish stick and gently push the dish up/down/left/right without undoing the bolts while getting someone to watch the signal quality on the receiver?

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Sorry I don't know what meter he used, I don't have problems on 30w since he realigned the dish, except that the quality is quite low. I don't get any 7w channels I think, the 5w picture is fine with no cloud but there is no signal in rain, I can't reach the dish unfortunately without a long ladder, which I don't have

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Quality should not be low - it's just a sign of something wrong. Get him back and get him to get it sorted properly.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
To be frank, I'd get somebody else: I have doubts over your Installer's competence.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Yeah I think you're right, if these are both strong satellites they sure aren't showing it thanks to him

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I used to get 5W full bore on a Sky Zone 1 with totally the wrong Skew.

Now get it on a 60cm dish with an LNB Offset by 18 degrees.

5W is a massively strong Bird.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok I'll wait to see if the 5w goes in rain again, and if it does I'll get someone else out to look at both dishes. Thanks for all your help :D