Fransat dish realignment

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Just to give you an idea about trees and dish elevation I've attached a photo taken from the bottom of my LNB support arm. 5°W is the LNB furthest to the right in the photo.

View of 5°W.JPG

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky uk, Fransat (Cgv E-sat HD-W), hispasat 30w (TDT SAT)
My Location
England
Thanks for your help guys, I'm getting the french dish fixed this week, the hispasat seems fine, I think the quality reading must be not starting from zero, and must start from 50 or something, as the picture, now the guy realigned it, has been perfect, although giving a reading between 1/4 and 1/2 of the bar, or it could be the tuner's not meant to give a completely accurate reading, as the reciever is only meant for people who absolutely cannot get terrestrial signals. What do you guys think?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Metering on Receivers is almost always something to be treated with caution.

At the end of the day, if you have Lock plus Rain Margin, that's it: Job done.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Awesome, thank you :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
pandarock32 said:
Thanks for your help guys, I'm getting the french dish fixed this week, the hispasat seems fine, I think the quality reading must be not starting from zero, and must start from 50 or something, as the picture, now the guy realigned it, has been perfect, although giving a reading between 1/4 and 1/2 of the bar, or it could be the tuner's not meant to give a completely accurate reading, as the reciever is only meant for people who absolutely cannot get terrestrial signals. What do you guys think?
My experience is that bullet-type LNBs don't perform quite as well as the conventional, full-width type. especially in the rain. It's only just off-axis and 5W is a strong satellite where you are, so probably isn't an issue. Obviously you don't have much room available since you want 7W and 5W at the same time, but how about swapping round the LNBs so that 7W gets the narrow LNB and 5W the 40mm?

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hi hairy badger I only want 5w not 7w :) the quality reading I was talking about was from hispasat 30w

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
pandarock32 said:
Hi hairy badger I only want 5w not 7w :) the quality reading I was talking about was from hispasat 30w
aargh my bad. I looked at sonnetpete's photo and for some unknown reason thought it was of your setup. Sorry!

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
I've seen dect cordless phones cause problems with sat signals before. It used to interfere with the french tps channels on my old dm7000 years ago. I moved the base unit away and the pictures came back.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Tends to affect only TPs close to 11630 and 12480 MHz, though:

LoF 9750 + DECT Operating Freq 1880 = 11630

LoF 10600 + DECT Operating Freq 1880 = 12480

(Ok, the sums are back to front as it's the L Band that's important, specifically @ 1880 MHz, being the key Downshifted frequency on the cable from the LNB to the Receiver, but it's the easiest way to represent the mechanics of the issue)

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
Yes DECT typically uses 1880-1900 in Europe. Thinking about it, it was the Multivision channels, not the main tps channels which were affected.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep.

And the weaknesses (lack of immunity) in domestic Satellite systems are invariably in the cabling between LNB and Box. In particular, poor quality screening due to poor selection (ie using gash UHF only stuff), damage and joints (including wallplates).

The Box itself is fairly bullet-proof as it's effectively a Faraday Cage.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hi guys I don't have a cordless phone near the box, I think the 5w is just misaligned, and the 30w has a good picture, so, as tivu said, it must just be a metering thing with that reciever, as even on the lowest reading in cloudy weather and rain the picture is still fine so far since being realigned last week

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Hi guys just as an update the french is now working (the installer fixed it) and spanish is normally fine, but goes in heavy rain, though apparently it's because hispasat 30w is a low satellite compared to 5w french and sky

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
30West (in the UK anyway) is about the same elevation as B Skyb and the Freesat signals.

Get him back again.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And if by "low" you meant strengthwise as opposed to elevation, he's still wrong!

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
seems the guy is a fly by night so cut your losses... eutelsat 5wa and hispasat 1c/d/e are very powerfull birds catchable on a 60cm dish. you should be getting something like 10db weather margin on 30 west... maybe its the skew causing issues as zone2 dishes are made for 28.2e

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good point >> best to use a Triax adapter ring to enable a proper LNB to be fitted and then correctly skewed.

A BSkyB LNB will be way out of kilter at 30W.

pandarock32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
England
Ok thanks :) the lnb is skewed differently to the sky dish i think and the 30w dish is larger and more circular. the dish points toward some trees so maybe it could be that? He already tried to realign it, so I want to cover everything before I get him back

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
He sounds useless. It only takes one time for someone who knows what they ate doing to align two dishes to such strong and easy to get satellites.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok thanks :) the lnb is skewed differently to the sky dish i think and the 30w dish is larger and more circular. the dish points toward some trees so maybe it could be that? He already tried to realign it, so I want to cover everything before I get him back

The "look angle" is around 25 degrees, so if that clears the tops of the trees, it shouldn't be a problem, but if it doesn't then your results will be poor.

Use the Dishpointer application to see for yourself if the trees are the problem.

But as several of us have said, any decent Installer should be able to deal with an Installation like this in one visit, leaving what can be got perfect and advising you if there are any insuperable limitations.