Free MP3 Download Sites

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
blimey lads, you`ve been busy on this thread since i left work :)

thanx for the info

i`ll have a go at it tommorrow when `er indoors goes outdoors O-Ha

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Kalamar

I downloaded the Agent and installed it (thanks) but it asked for details of mynewsgroup and email. Apart from the fact that I don't know them I was a bit worried about putting these details in for security reasons.

Is this the only way to acces these binaries?

PaulR

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
PaulR,
Newsgroup address depends on your internet service provider. e.g.
NTL 's is news.cable.ntlworld.com

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
And your E-mail address will only show if you post, you can put a dummy in anyway.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think I've screwed it up...

When I was asked or the newsgroup address during the installation I put it a fake address. Now I can't see how to change it. I uninstalled the ptogram and then reinstalled but it didn't ask for the newsgroup address and remembered the false one.

Am I doomed with this program?

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What did you put in PaulR, a dummy E-mail or a dummy News server?
You should be able to change the news server under options/User and System profile.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks, I found the place. My ISP is Virgin and so guessed at news.virgin.net which I tried in an open IE window first.

It didn't work so tried news.virgin.com. That didn't work either so does anyone know whar server Virgin uses for news?

Could I put in the BBC news portal news.bbc.co uk? I'll give it a go anyway.

PaulR

BTW Rolf, do you leave your computer switched on during the day? I've been off ill today (earache - seriously) and you were here every time I looked.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sometimes I leave it on, but today I've been around for most of the day. :)

Can't see anything on Virgin regarding a news server, they probably don't have their own, I use news.btinternet.com as a first option.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can always try this one, used to use it, you need to sign up, but it is free. News.CIS.DFN.DE

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, I've left the BBC news portal in, now what? How do I read the newsgroups?

I never thought it would be this difficult!

PaulR

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't remember too much about it, but if you go into the online heading and get groups, that should populate the page.

K

kalamar

1. click on OPTIONS
2. click USER and SYSTEM PROFILES
3. enter your user name and password if required by the news server.
example user 6283047 password 6852529
nothing else needs to be entered , no email or anything.
4. click system put the URL of the news server in.
example news.100proofnews.com
5. click ok
6.click ONLINE
7. click REFRESH GROUPS
if all is ok you will soon see the groups list, just click on whatever turns you on and sample maybe 5000 or GET ALL
at that point you will see the articles in RED in the right hand box, click them to download them. if there is files or pictures in the article,just right click it in the big bottom box to view/hear or save.

If you have access to a news server,this should get you started, just remember DONT click on a bunch of buttons that you are not familiar with to start with as this is a full featured high powered news reader and will satisfy any power hungry news freak! (like me) he heh the news server I used in the example is a real one I used to use long ago and It was working the other day but they will get wise to it and cancel that user. You can find some free news servers if you look around or you can buy access to others if you need a big "uncensored mature content" server or whatever. If I run across any good free ones I will post the URL for it. whew !

K

kalamar

OK
OK
HERE IS A GOOD FREE ONE==> news.aha.ru

no log in or user name required !!!! just put it Agent and get the groups ! lots of mature content on it (I look for that to see if the server is any good) am gonna check it further but it looks good from here ! its a Ruskie server and its fast too !

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
kalamar said:
at that point you will see the articles in RED in the right hand box, click them to download them. if there is files or pictures in the article,just right click it in the big bottom box to view/hear or save.

i get this far but i get no text showing when i click on them, only the odd error message. what am i doing wrong?

technology! :confused it`ll be the death of me

K

kalamar

bigrandydavid said:
i get this far but i get no text showing when i click on them, only the odd error message. what am i doing wrong?

technology! :confused it`ll be the death of me

what kind of error mesage is it ?

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
i`ll have to reinstall the program before i can find out

i deleted it in a fit of pique last night :p

lol

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Mate, you sound like me, but you will have to have a bit more patience, believe me, it will be worth it. :)

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
ok. i did what kalamar said in the above thread. i get the groups in the lefh hand box, so i select one and the get 40 sample headers which then makes a load of red text appear in the right hand box.

if i select one of these i just get text in the lower half of the screen.

it then either says something like this.......

[3 lines, incomplete]

[This is a multi-part message, of which only 1 of 16 parts are available.]
[These parts are unavailable: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16]

[To retrieve the incomplete message, use menu option Message | Join Sections.]

..... in which case i do `message` then `join sections`. i then get a download of about 20 seconds then a pile of gobbldygook appears.

or i just get `press enter to retrieve this message` followed by what looks like an email type message

i see no mp3`s :eek: :confused