Free to air/Sky Eire

zaffy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freeview
My Location
eire
My mother had a free to air system set up about a year ago in Eire.
The reception was never brilliant. Would replacing the system with a Sky subscription one give a better reception .
It is the quality of the picture that is the issue. Should the free to air system be receiving a good picture (location Co. Waterford) or is this a know bad reception area ?

The free to air system uses astra, and so will the sky system I presume. Does this mean that the sky system will probably product the same quality of picture.

My mother is on a limited budget and doe not want to waste money on a sky sub which will not give a better reception.

Would a more powerful disk help. Could a sky freeview box bought in the UK be installed over there.

Any help appreciated

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If the reception isnt brilliant theres something fundamentally wrong with the installation. (maybe a badly aligned dish)

Get it sorted out before spending more money on a Sky subs.

You are getting your technical terms mixed up - theres no such thing as Sky Freeview.

Freeview = the DTT system delivered via aerial - nothing to do with satellite delivery at all.

zaffy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freeview
My Location
eire
Thanks analoguesat. When the installation was done she thought the bad reception was down to an old analogue TV. This has now been replaced with a brand new LED and the picture is still bad. I had suspected that the installation may have been bad and thought that the free to air should be OK.

I live in the UK and will be going over there next month. What could I buy (device) to test the alignment of the dish withs astra etc ?

Thanks Zaffy

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you say bad reception, do you mean the picture breaking up?

zaffy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freeview
My Location
eire
No, the picture is a bit weak and grainy, a bit snowy.
The quality of picture can vary between channels.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well that has nothing to do with the dish and probably nothing to do with the receiver, if you use cheap scart leads, they can certainly affect the picture quality. If you are watching via the aerial socket, then there is probably another TV channel too close to the output channel of your satellite receiver.