Free to air

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Can anyone tell me if you need a sky viewing card to view BBC1, BBC2
ITV1 ITV2 via sky dig?? I didn't think you did but I have just reconnected my old sky dig box but cannot get them. I can get sky news and some other c*ap channels but the others??

Pixey

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you do Pixey, either that or a FTV BBC card. If you have your old sky card, it may enable the channels after a day or so, or you may be able to ring the BBC, give them the number and get it initialised.

Rolf

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
For a BBC card you will need to order one using a UK telephone number and address by phoning 0870 2438000.

They will ask for......

UK name, address and postcode
UK Telephone Number
'NDS' serial number of your Digibox.

The card will sent to the uk address used.

When you revieve the card, place it in the receiver and then call them back asking for the card to be activated..

Never tried it so I can't br sure.

nobbly :+

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-May-02 AT 06:59 PM (GMT)]Hi Nobbly, they don't ask for the box serial number any more, I did one just recently. They don't insist on it when they initialise the card either, it was Dish Doctor who gave me the information first, they don't need to know the number of the box, the card will marry itself to the box it is placed in when the signal is sent.

Rolf

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
You do not need to give them your telephone number either,but,as the ftv card service is operated by British Telecom on behalf of BskyB,on behalf of government regulations saying that everyboby with a tv license is entitled to a free card,perhaps they know anyway!!!!Brian

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks for the help boys, I didn't realise it was such a palava and I had never heard of the fta bbc card. You live and learn!!

Pixey

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
One more thing. ITV2 is NOT available with a free to view card, in spite of the fact that it's free to air on terestrial digital. You need the Sky Familly pack subscription to receive ITV2

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Thought i was up with most of the acronyms, don't recognise that one though :) If it's bad language please don't enlighten me.
With regard to the ITV2 question, it was ITVs decision to only allow it on the subscribed packages.

Rolf