"Free TV from the United States"

JJJ636

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
XP Home 256RAM 1.7GHz
Currently no SAT setup
My Location
USA (Louisiana)
At this link, http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html, show all the channels that I could recieve if I were to simply start my Dreambox up and pointed it at the given satellite? Basically what I'm asking is, do these sats on the link above need any of those softcams, card, or keys to get these channels to show.

So how do I find out which sats. I'd have to aquire cams, softcams, keysetc. in order for my to watch cable channels, premium channels,etc?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
They are all in the clear (free tv gives the clue!) - and ANY digital receiver will pick them up. (Or analogue for the handful of analogue channels left). HOWEVER, you will only get channels that are transmitting off satellites you can see in your location. Lots of them in that list are transmitting to Europe and Asia.

JJJ636

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
XP Home 256RAM 1.7GHz
Currently no SAT setup
My Location
USA (Louisiana)
Analoguesat said:
They are all in the clear (free tv gives the clue!) - and ANY digital receiver will pick them up. (Or analogue for the handful of analogue channels left). HOWEVER, you will only get channels that are transmitting off satellites you can see in your location. Lots of them in that list are transmitting to Europe and Asia.

So how would I find sats that show cable package channels?

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
JJJ636 said:

This site shows which channels you can get on each satellite:
www.satcodx.com

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
JJJ636 said:

You can almost certainly forget getting any freebie cable channel via satellite - they are normally HEAVILY and securely encrypted - to stop possible customers watching for nothing :D

JJJ636

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
XP Home 256RAM 1.7GHz
Currently no SAT setup
My Location
USA (Louisiana)
Analoguesat said:
You can almost certainly forget getting any freebie cable channel via satellite - they are normally HEAVILY and securely encrypted - to stop possible customers watching for nothing :D

So what is meant by by getting a cam, card, and key to decrypt these channels?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some pay tv providers use compromised encryptions [TPS here in Europe for one]. With the right cards and cams and bits of numeric code (the Keys) you can open compromised encryptions.

However, its a continuing game of cat & mouse between the hackers and the pay tv providers, and several compromised providers have gone secure in Europe this year, with more to follow soon.

Cable headends often pick up their channels via satellite distribution, PowerVu being a typical encryption used . (This is an ULTRA secure encryption). You would need to check the satellite feeds for your desired cable provider for more info about which sat / encryption used. Its unlikely many of the members on this forum will be able to help as most of our members are in Europe, the Middle East and India. You may get lucky though.