Free2View

xerxes

Reaction score
My Location
Munich, Germany
I just phoned up the Free2View people and asked them what happens after the 31st January, which is the last date when you can apply for such a card.

The answer I got was "We've got no idea. There'll be no one here manning the phones, and it'll be up to Sky ".

If I get a Free2View Card before then, and activate it, will I still be able to use my Sky card in the same Digibox as well?

I'd want to do this as I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of Sky in the near future - but not before the end of January.

So, can I "marry" a Free2View card and a Sky card to the same digibox at the same time, or is it all going to end in tears, in the divorce court, so as to speak?

Xerxes

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
The question you might want to ask yourself is whether your current Sky card would keep its ITV C4 C5 entitlement if you ditch Sky. I believe the answer's Yes.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also, once activated, the Free to view card should work in any box.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
....any Videoguard (BSkyB ) box

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, sorry, that clarification needs to be made.

xerxes

Reaction score
My Location
Munich, Germany
Thanks everybody, for the quick replies.

Actually, Leee, I asked Free2View if my Sky card would transform as if by magic into a Free2View card automatically if I cancelled Sky after 31st January, and the answer was "er, ... dunno". Perhaps this should be a question for Sky - although presumably they're the ones behind Free2View anyway.

Be that as it may, hopefully by the end of the week I should be in possession of both a Free2View card as well as my Sky card, which is in Tunbridge Wells at the moment. Then we shall see ...

Checked my Sky contract and see you have to give them 1 months notice anyway. Excuse me for wandering off me own thread here, but does anyone know how Sky react to the cancellation of a World Films package? Do they say a) "Oh my god, subscribers are going to be down by 1 / 8 millionth!" or is it more likely to :cool: "Oh my god, who's going to tell Rupert? Do you think we could do a deal?"

Xerxes

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They'll normally put you through to someone in the "Talk them out of it" department, or try and call you back offering a discount for a couple of months, but that's about it.

xerxes

Reaction score
My Location
Munich, Germany
rolfw said:
They'll normally put you through to someone in the "Talk them out of it" department, or try and call you back offering a discount for a couple of months, but that's about it.

So not much chance of them forcing me to connect up a Sky Plus without a telephone connection then? Getting even more off-thread here, I'm afraid, but I reckon it can only be a matter of time before Sky Plus becomes the standard vanilla digibox anyway.

I'll report back to let you know what happens with using 2 cards in 1 digibox. I wonder if I could get them both in the box at the same time ...

Xerxes

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
xerxes said:
I wonder if I could get them both in the box at the same time ...

Xerxes

Yes if you push hard enough ;)