Freesat and Viasat in Oslo

colourwheel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No equipment yet!
My Location
Oslo, Norway
Hi, I'd like to get both Viasat (registered in Latvia) and Freesat in Oslo, Norway. I'm new to this game, so would like to know what I need. I already have a dish (85cm diameter) with two Nokia "Universal" LMBs. I know I need to get a Freesat box (the Humax Foxsat HD sounds good) and I have an old Viasat box too.

Do I need two dishes? Or can I receive both on one dish, with two LMBs? Which satellites broadcast Viasat and Freesat?

Thanks for any help!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum colourwheel

Well I can only suggest that 24 degree separation is a lot so two dishes would probably be best however Viasat on Sirius at 4.8 deg East is encrypted with videoguard so you would need a subscription. Here is a list of all the free TV beams for the UK not just freesat
The freesat on 28.2 East will require a more substantial dish than you propose for comfort as most are on the tightly focussed 2D beam as it is intended for UK only see here , but it depends what channels you are after.

colourwheel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No equipment yet!
My Location
Oslo, Norway
Hi Topper, thanks for the good advice. Yeah, I feared the dish would be too small for Freesat. I'll also check out the other free beams. We'll get a subscription for Viasat from Latvia - it's cheap (my wife's Latvian too). Thanks for the links!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well that is good if you have a way of getting a Viasat subscription, I had a look over at the dedicated _http://www.astra2d.com/ site and there is reception report for Norway _http://www.astra2d.com/norway.htm this indicates a 1.5 mtr dish required 110km South of Oslo so you may need to go bigger than they did.

Haak34

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace TDS 850 Canal Digital HD PVR ( Sagem)
My Location
Norway
I got the Pace TDS 850 NV for my norwegian Viasat.
All the other Viasat approved decoders I have used the past years has shown all the channels available on Sirius. But this decoder does only show the norwegian channels. Are threre any posibillities to change the setup in any other way to show all available channels at Sirius. I would like to useit on Viasat Latvia because its the only decoder I know of that have an HDMI.