Freesat decoder

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fixed,polar mount and C band dish.
My Location
south africa
Writing from South Africa i enquire whether i can use a freesat decoder to receive free to air transmissions from satellites with the foot print over South Africa.
I also wish to know whether the decoder is in fact a PVR with a hard drive.The reason being that PVR,s are banned/not available in South Africa.
Should both questions be in the affirmative i enquire which make of decoder would members recommend.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sure, you can use a Freesat receiver to receive FTA transmissions and record if it's a PVR. Most seem to be encrypted on DSTV package, though, but there may be other satellites that have more.

Strange that PVRs are banned there - never heard of this!

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
Thanks Captain Jack. Non availability is because of DSTV.We have lots of FTA transmissions to watch.What decoders with a PVR facility are available and also recommended.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Lots of choice. Any Enigma2 receiver can have a hard drive inside it. Also the likes of Technomakes, Octagons etc. Too much choice. Depends on what you want and what's available in SA.

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
None are available in South Africa.What I want is a reliable PVR which carries the recommendation of members.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Assuming you meant "Freesat" as in the UK Freesat Platform (and that's the sub-Forum we're in) , then no it won't work for your purpose.

The Freesat specific boxes rely upon polling a dedicated Home Transponder (on 28E) in order to place Channels on the EPG, provide Programme Information and enable the full range of PVR functions.

They do have a "non-Freesat mode" to allow them to operate outwith the Freesat EPG in much the same way as a generic Free to Air Receiver, both on 28E and other Satellites. Only manual recording is possible and thy really are not user-friendly in that mode.

I have a first generation Humax Foxsat Freesat PVR and have applied non-standard firmware to enhance some of it's abilities, but that is not available for current devices.

Edit: As it's now clear this is about generic FTA, I've moved the Topic accordingly.

Last edited:

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
As Captain Jack has mentioned, a lot of Enigma 2 receivers can take a fitted hard drive, and use C Band tuners.
I personally have a VU+ Duo2, which can take either 3.5", or 2.5", SATA hard drives.
One advantage, of Enigma 2 receivers, is that they are networked, so you can access them via your PC, and then copy any recording, to your PC, to edit, and burn to disks, if required.
I have noticed a lack of DVD recorders, with internal hard drives, being built, probably due to the changing technology, but I have heard rumours that broadcasters no longer want you to record their programming, but instead use internet catch up options, which provide them with more control on distribution, and they can sell you their own DVD's.

Can you please provide more onformation, regarding what you need.
Is South Africa moving to 4K?
Do you want a receiver with dual tuners, or more, so you can record/view several channels, at the same time?
What kind of budget do you have in mind?
Are their any legal regulations, regarding suppliers shipping receivers to South Africa?

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
I note that my receiver has a USB port.The route that i will take is to connect an external hard drive with an external power supply.
Yes we have regulations but what i require ,I simply put in my luggage when I travel overseas.Yes we will eventually move to 4K.

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
As a matter of interest my handbook indicates that one must use an external power supply at all times .Harddrives without external power have the potential to damage the receiver.Have members experienced this?

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
Members input will be appreciated.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Members input will be appreciated.

With all due respect I doubt any member who has an stb with an onboard hard drive who has experienced a hard drive failure would have the ability or need to determine the cause of that failure, they would simply replace the drive

wium78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
south africa
Topper I was referring to an external hard drive without a power supply when connecting to the USB port of a satellite receiver.
ie there is no onboard hard drive.The receiver on its own gets damaged according to my operation manual.(I have a HDVR 1200 Geosat PRO)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I can easily see that it would be the case that an external hard disc drive would need an extra power source. From memory USB2 ports have a maximum current supply of 500mA (USB3 can supply more).

From practical experience I know that just connecting portable hard drives to computers without the external power supply sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. In fact many of the external hard discs have a special double headed USB lead so that it can plug into two USB ports and get the extra current that way.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Topper I was referring to an external hard drive without a power supply when connecting to the USB port of a satellite receiver.
ie there is no onboard hard drive.The receiver on its own gets damaged according to my operation manual.(I have a HDVR 1200 Geosat PRO)
Ah ok, I understand now, I think Paul has answered your questions but yes if the external HD required more than the USB port could supply then certainly it would damage the STB

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
.................................. In fact many of the external hard discs have a special double headed USB lead so that it can plug into two USB ports and get the extra current that way.

Yep, my Woxter had the 'special double headed USB lead' as:-

woxter.JPG