Freesat & Fortec Star Passion+

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
Hi I'm new to this forum, and I welcome advise on setting up my Fortec Star system bought from Maplins.

Have spent three days trying to set this system up, gave up today and called in an aerial installer who set the dish up to Astra 28.2 E, although there is a S of 63% & Q of around 30 - 40% all that seems to be there are sky pay per view channels plus others but no sign of bbc or itv either HD or SD, he suggested that the receiver was faulty which Maplins very kindly exchanged thsi afternoon, all set up again but to no avail. PLEASE HELP

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +, Passion+ HD, Various Mac's, too many gadgets to count.
My Location
South Yorkshire
Hi, have you gon ehtrough the Factory Setting process and chosen your region? try this if not.
1. press menu/ exit
2.move right to the tv screen taband select Factory Setting
3.type your password (0000) by default
4. choose Factory Setting
5.select your flag , english I guess
6.select UK as your region
7.select UK regional & ROI channels
8.then chhos your region
9.select adult & subtitles or not
Then you should have all your regional channels available, might switches staright to channel 1 which is BBC HD.

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
Thanks for the info, I have already tried this, do you know what TP setting should be for Freesat also I have just been up the ladder to double check what the aerial guy did, elevation is set to about 23 degrees - photocopy enclosed with dish states 32 - 34 degrees (badly photocopied and bearly readable.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
_http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html will give you the transponder frequencies. Forget what the dish scale says, it is often meaningless, but alignment is obviously important.

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
screen is showing astra a, how do I get onto astra d (I know Iam really green at this)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They should all be on the same satellite. Just add the transponders which you are missing.

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
Well now I've got a problem! turned the stb off while I had Tea came back to try again and after pressing power button on after a few seconds it shuts down.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
nightworker said:
Well now I've got a problem! turned the stb off while I had Tea came back to try again and after pressing power button on after a few seconds it shuts down.

Well I cannot really help you as I do not own one however it is unclear to me anyhow from your last post if you put it in standby or powered it down completely, I know you mention pressing the power button but often this only takes it out of standby.

Have you tried removing the plug completely and booting again from scratch?

surfgeek

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky +, Passion+ HD, Various Mac's, too many gadgets to count.
My Location
South Yorkshire
nightworker said:

Might seem a bit obvious, by your not just in standby are you? If you switch of your passion whilst in standby it will got back to standby when you power it back on.

paul_hants

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion HD& 60cm H-H
My Location
South
Hi Surfgeek. I'm using a Fortec Star Passion HD also bought from Maplins. The Fortec will certainly let you watch all the channels you can see with a Freesat box (not a Sky Freesat box). What you don't get is the Freesat 7 day EPG.

The signal strength of 63% sounds a bit on the low side. Mine reads 95% on both the dish that was supplied with the Fortec and on an old Sky dish which I have fixed on Astra at 28. But if a proper installer put the dish in I guess it's OK.

Have you tried a re-scan? The channel list pre-loaded in the Fortec may be out of date.

You could also try an upgrade to the latest loader and then firmware which is available from the Fortec web site. http://www.fortecstar.com/

Paul

paul_hants

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion HD& 60cm H-H
My Location
South
Sorry that reply should have been to nightworker not surfgeek....

Paul

nightworker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion +
My Location
Devon
All's well that ends well - powering off after switching on seems to have sorted itself out overnight (to add to last nights post - prior to shutting down after powering on - there was a flash of 'illegal' in the display) as far as finding channels, I cant remember the thread but I found one where the LNB had to be turned, I did this as shown in the photo, checked the tv and found BBC HD - excellent picture. A big thank you to the member who posted the photo. All I need do know is update the firmware & channel list to obtain ITV HD - once again a big thank you to all advice given

nosser626

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion+
My Location
Dover Kent
Hi! Interested in your comments, I am having similar problems with my Passion+ from Maplins and think it might be to do with the LNB settings. Would appreciate any info on how to set up the LNB please, have spent a week or so trying to get BBC/HD and very frustrated. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bert.

Clem_Dye

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion receiver; 2 s Sky boxen with FTV cards.
My Location
Hertfordshire & North Yorkshire
paul_hants said:
Hi Surfgeek. I'm using a Fortec Star Passion HD also bought from Maplins. The Fortec will certainly let you watch all the channels you can see with a Freesat box (not a Sky Freesat box). What you don't get is the Freesat 7 day EPG.

The signal strength of 63% sounds a bit on the low side. Mine reads 95% on both the dish that was supplied with the Fortec and on an old Sky dish which I have fixed on Astra at 28. But if a proper installer put the dish in I guess it's OK.

Have you tried a re-scan? The channel list pre-loaded in the Fortec may be out of date.

You could also try an upgrade to the latest loader and then firmware which is available from the Fortec web site. ~_http://www.fortecstar.com/

Paul

I think that you have to take the strength and quality readings that you see on the info data on any receiver with a 'pinch of salt', as they say. Any reading done in software will not be as accurate as that obtained from a meter. My Passion box shows some variability across the polarities and frequencies, but I've yet to see any issues. On average, I see a ~70% signal strength and a ~90% signal quality, with the box connected either directly to my 85cm dish or to my 60cm dish system, which feeds satellite around the house. Some variability in levels will be down to where in the country you happen to be located for example.

If you check-out the SatAid website (you'll need to register), you'll find dedicated FortecStar forums - you should find some help there. See _www.sataid.net/forum

Clem

PyroPaul

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
Diablo 2.3
My Location
Gloucestershire
Hi all,

I have a Fortec Passion (From Maplin) and a Diablo (V2.3). I want to use my Sky subscription card in this unit. However, when I try to enter the Sky Box serial number (in Subscribers menu section) it will only take 9 digits - Sky has 10. I've removed the leading 0, but no joy. Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.