freesat from bbc/itv - receiver compatibility

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
hi,

the new freesat service from the beeb is due to launch next year. i've read that it will require a "freesat box".

my question: is it likely that any type of satellite receiver will be suitable to receive freesat, like for most other european platforms, or will it require a special "freesat box" with special software and/or epg?

the thing is, that i would like to buy a new hd-receiver now but would like it to be compatible to the few freesat when it comes out.

cheers, marty

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The simple answer to your question is that outside of the BBC and their partners, nobody knows. :)

They have a dedicated box commissioned, but aside of the fact that they will be using a newly designed EPG, there is no public information as to whether it will be encrypted and if it is, how.

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
thanks rolfw for your quick answer. same old story, then. just ordered a tm-6900 regardless. hope i will still be able to get bbc hd and epg next year.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Have been keeping my ear to the ground on this one. A good site is www.dtg.org.co.uk/news

What I have heard is that :

1. The channels will definitely be in the clear. ( I have wrote to the BBC Trust complaining that this is true then why should the licence fee be paid if expats in europe continue to work for free)

2. Ch4 will join for launch date, Ch5 are trying to be released early. OFCOM are involved as they see FREESAT as a weak force if it does not launch as per Freview.

3. Receiver manufacturers have been announced, Humax, Sagem, Pace and Phillips.

4. EPG will be uniform, unlike FREEVIEW.

5. STB specifications are known and should be released imminently.

On the above I am looking to source my own receiver and I have the spec and prices. I would like forum members to mail me with what they would like on any such stb.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It still says on the last news item, that Freesat will offer 200 channels plus interactive services for a one-off payment, targeting both the 27% of the UK population who are currently out of DTT coverage. unless of course they are speaking of the cost of the box, but it wouldn't appear so, otherwise I'm sure they would have said that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channel 5 are in an encryption contract which runs until mid 2009. I guarantee Sky will make them pay dearly to get out of the encyption contract......

Note that C5 have also made it quite clear in the last 18 months that they have no interest in going fta, although that was before FreeSart really got off the ground.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Ch5 have admitted to running in parallel, ie 1 encrypted channel and 1 in the clear. Perhaps that explains the 2 recent freqs for CH5. Will be interesting to see how OFCOM address this issue.

Remembering that Sky will be launching DTT Pay Tv in the near future.

Installation will be done ( but not exclusively) by a network of CAI installers.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It's a strange situation, as I'm sure that BBC and ITV cannot afford to encrypt with anything other than NDS, ITV have in the past learnt to their cost the result of not being included on the Sky platform, it would be even worse now, as there are more than 8 million Sky subscribers, unwilling to switch between digibox and aerial.

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
andyw37 said:
What I have heard is that :

1. The channels will definitely be in the clear. ( I have wrote to the BBC Trust complaining that this is true then why should the licence fee be paid if expats in europe continue to work for free)

i think the reason for encryption is not the licence fee but copyright issues e.g with hollywood. german public tv is funded by licence fees similar to the bbc but they don't care if you can receive the channels in another country. on the other hand austrian tv is encrypted purely for copyright reasons.

by the way i would like to say that the licence fee is a good thing. ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's a given, the sole reason for encryption would be international copyright, hence why it is unlikely that BBC and ITV channels will move away from Astra 2D if they remain in the clear.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I would have thought that there would have been some leak of info on the subject.
Seems they have a better security clamp down,than some of the UK goverment agencies,MI5 and CIA ect.not to mention the net.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
The copyright theme is not an issue, and language plays a major part, a bit like subliminal advertising.

Have a look at the EUs Television Without Frontiers.

I am anti Licence Fee. With current technology a licence fee card can stop those not paying watching the BBC. Simple, if you dont contribute you can opt out!!

Free movement of goods people and services - EU Legislation. I wonder how happy the BBC would be if similar english speaking channels were received freely in the uk?

2million people watching the BBC abroad for free SHOULD make people want to speak out - Then again it is all too British nowadays to put up with unfairness.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Please let's not turn this into a license fee disussion, it's an old chestnut, discussed to death and will divert the thread away from the original topic.

Copyright is indeed an issue and was the reason for BBC and ITV channels locating on Astra 2D, it may also be the reason why some channels on the new platform may be encrypted.

I really don't think that it is an issue to the general public in the UK, that potentially 2 million of johnny foreigner are watching our crown jewels for free, strangely enough, this is only ever brought up by expat viewers, nobody I have spoken to in the UK have ever shown the slightest concern.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
COPYRIGHT IS NOT AN ISSUE. I know that for a fact. Perhaps it wil be if we start showing European sports and movies FTA, in the parent language, but as that is not going to happen..........

The TVWF Directive confirms member states viewing rights, the only area not allowed is s_x tv and commercial viewing ( to be re-evaluated in 2009)

I live in the UK 7 months a year, I do not and will not pay for the tv licence ( do I watch the BBC yes I do ) Most Brits cant even work out for themselves that they are being taken for fools by the BBC & Govt.

As the BBC continues to struggle with ITV and pay tv the licence fee will continue to rise. And Brits will continue to ..................pay.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Copyright is an issue and it is why the BBC and ITV moved to the Astra 2d restricted beam in the first place.

You've made your point on your views about the licence fee, and I ask you to leave it at that as far as this thread goes, as I stated in my previous post, we want to keep this subject on topic and that subject has been hammered to the point of tedium.

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
sorry for hijacking the thread. but i started it so i can do with it what i want. lol

i just hope my new technomate 6900 won't be useless as of next year.

one note on the bbc though. you people in the uk don't know how spoilt you are telly-wise. all other european services are rubbish in comparison and the only good things they do show are bought in from british telly, either the shows themselves or the concepts.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
Someone please give me odds that in 2008 :

FREESAT WILL TRASMIT IN THE CLEAR

CH5 WILL JOIN IN 2008

EPG WILL BE UNIFORM

ASTRA 2D WILL STILL BE RECEIVED IN SOUTHERN EUROPE

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Is this going to be like Katie Price ? ......... Kind of "all right" to look at ....... Occasionally .......... But after a while you wish ya hadn't bothered ? :D

Attachments

• bgrn104l.jpg
    bgrn104l.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 60

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
well it certainly cant be any worse than freeview:-doh!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think you have to put it in perspective, for many people until recently, there were five channels, there are now six times that amount and even if fifty percent of them are not very good, that is still a huge improvement.