Cards -
FreeSat NDS Sky Card
Xplus TV
Access Card 9
Dragon Loa
My Location
Derby (UK)
Hi

I have a DB7000s and have just bought a Freesat card from SKY for £20.
The card requires activation, and it seems, using a SKY card in a DB needs a SKY box number...

I don't have a SKY box, I want to activate the card in the DB, any ideas???
Can it be done?

I had considered asking a friend to let me put it into his SKY box and then call SKY to activate it, but he has concerns about his own SKY card and subscription if I do, like 'will his card still work in his box', 'will he still be able to get the channels he subscribes to after I activate my card'?

I don't know!! does anyone??? Obviously I'm not going to try that method if it's unknown..

I guess SKY will be able to tell me but.....
I'd like to think I can activate and use the Freesat in my DB, so if anyone knows how or can help me in some way please, please, please respond

Thanks
Gypo

:-snowman

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
You need a digibox to activate your card, plus you need a digibox to update the tiers every 6-8 weeks otherwise your card will stop working.

You can activate your card in your friends digibox without affecting his subscription, but you will have to get him to leave it in his digibox overnight every 6-8 weeks or so to keep it working.

So basically, you need a digibox of your own.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000s serving 4 500s. 2 fixed dishes + 1 motor.
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
You don't need a digibox to activate or update your Freesat card. Ask your friend for his BOXID and use that. It will not have any affect on his existing subscription. The card will never need to be in his, or any digibox it will activate in the Dreambox.

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
Butterbox said:
You don't need a digibox to activate or update your Freesat card. Ask your friend for his BOXID and use that. It will not have any affect on his existing subscription. The card will never need to be in his, or any digibox it will activate in the Dreambox.

I have a freesat card and a dm7000 and every 6-8 weeks or so it goes off. This is because the dreambox cannot write to the card, which it needs to do to update the tiers or when it is first activated.

If you do a search of the forums, you will see many posts agreeing with this.

In addition, you don't need to input a BOXID for Freesat channels. You only need this for premium channels such as movies and sport.

@Butterbox: if you have any evidence to prove that a freesat card will activate and update in a dreambox then please post it here (telling us what image you used, what emu, and any special settings that are needed). However, you obviously don't have a freesat card so I won't hold my breath.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
_stu_ said:
@Butterbox: if you have any evidence to prove that a freesat card will activate and update in a dreambox then please post it here (telling us what image you used, what emu, and any special settings that are needed). I have yet to see anybody post anything that backs up what you say, so I won't hold my breath.

OK, I'm not sure why the attitude, but I will answer none the less.
I discarded my digibox approx I year ago. I had my Sky sub increased to the Movie package and this was achieved with the card in the dreambox. The card has not been out of the dreambox for a year now.
Approx 3 months ago I ordered a Freesat card via my sister in the UK. She gave SKY her boxid to activate the card, but never put in in her digibox. It activated in my dreambox approx 30 minutes after inserting.

I used to use Newcamd 5.28 (patched). I now used Newcs with Mgcamd because it fixed the periodic freezing problem with 5.28. I have used Gemini, DaVinci and currently Pli. The image has never been a factor. I don't know why you are having a problem.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Yer I activated the freesat house card in a digibox and now use it with the newcamd_6.02_betad emu in the top slot of a 7020. There's no need to put in boxids.

I've heard that the newcs also works.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
whatsthis said:
Yer I activated the freesat house card in a digibox and now use it with the newcamd_6.02_betad emu in the top slot of a 7020. There's no need to put in boxids.

I've heard that the newcs also works.

Do you have to put the card back in your digibox every 6 weeks for updates?

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
My Freeview card updates in my dreambox. Must be in it now for 6mts. If you edit the chs with dreambox edit, transfer them back into dreambox and wait you will see the card loading the ch back into dreambox. Maybe not all but some, keep deleating them but usually they come back. Any made up Boxid no works with the freeview card as well but no prem chs.

Butterbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dragon 4.1
My Location
Mayo, Ireland
_stu_ said:
@Butterbox: if you have any evidence to prove that a freesat card will activate and update in a dreambox then please post it here (telling us what image you used, what emu, and any special settings that are needed). However, you obviously don't have a freesat card so I won't hold my breath.
I see you have edited your post to effectively call me a liar. I have had tremendous help from this forum over the past year and have achieved more than I thought I could have. I like to give something back on the few occasions I can help, this saves the same people always having to help. I understand the value of correct information when giving it because wrong information can cost time and money. I am sorry if you took exception to being corrected but I am not a liar.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
OK. calm down fellas.

@Butterbox - the information you have posted here over a long period has always been first rate, and I'm sure that everyone here has the utmost respect for your input and opinion. I certainly do.

I think the original posters question has been well answered, so I'll close this baby down.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.