Freesat in France help

lepablo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
morzine, france
Hi, i have been living in Morzine, France (close to geneva) for 4 years now and never bothered to get UK tv as my French is fine. However, we have just moved into a house where the landlady (upstairs) has UK Sky tv installed. A cable runs off the dish into our flat where she used to watch tv down here.

How can I find out if I can receive freesat using this setup / watch FTA channels? Obviously I need to procure a freesat/sky box to amke it work.

I can find out any info you would need to help.

How can i find out which sat the dish is currently pointed at?

Thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

If the landlady is watching Sky, the dish is pointed at the satellites at 28 degrees east.

_http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

All you need to do is to purchase a FTA digital satellite receiver, plug it in, maybe do a channel scan, and you are on your way. You would be able to watch all the free to air channels. If you wanted Sky, you'd need a Sky decoder and subscription.

You should be able to pick up a cheap reciever from about £30.

The other option is a Freesat receiver, which are about £50, but can only be bought in the UK, argos sell them I believe.

A 2nd hand Sky box, would also do the trick if you can hold of a cheap one, but my personal opinion is that they are a PITA for the FTA channels as the EPG scatters them all over, with the pay ones in-between that you can't watch without a card.

Robbo:)

lepablo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
morzine, france
excellent, i was hoping that was the case. im back in the uk next week for cars MOT and other things so will pick up a freesat box.

thanks for your help, I now have one happy girlfriend!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
lepablo said:
Hi, I have never bothered to get UK TV as my French is fine.
But this doesn't improve the quality of French TV which in my experience is dire!