Freesat in Norway

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sagi Parabol dish, Humax Freesat box
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
OK, moved to Stavanger in Norway from the UK before Christmas. Have a Humax freesat box which we succesfully connected to the dish on the house and got UK freesat - all good.

Before Christmas there were strong winds that moved the dish and we lost signal.

I've bought a dish finder and trying to get the channels back - here is what I've done so far:

- Humax freesat box still has my UK postcode entered (I needed to put this in to get the humax box to work - worked fine like this before christmas so not changed it)
- the Humax box says the satellite it has stored is Freesat 28.2E - cant seem to change this)
- looked on the dishpointer web and its suggesting 19.2E, but if I scroll to 28.2E looks like its possible too)
- my dish is pointing pretty much horizontal, slight tilt upwards, no where near the 20 degrees it suggests - think it might be an offset dish but dont understand what this is or how to set the angle differntly - just used the satellite finder until I got a signal

- I currently have found a load of french and german programs pointing to roughly 19.2E (I think but compas goes wild when near the dish).

Any help appreciated please - new to all this setting up stuff but want to learn more

Thanks

JP

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Sounds like you're pointing at the wrong satellite. French and German stuff is on 19.2 and the UK channels are on 28.2 so you need to move the dish a few degrees left if standing behind it. You may also need to adjust the dish to look at a slightly lower angle. Before you start make some marks on the bracket so you can move the dish back if you get lost.

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
ok, thanks for that - will give it a go. How exact does pointing at the satelite need to be? I gather they are in clusters - does one satellite onlt broadcast UK freesat or will it broadcast other things too

Thanks.

Is there anywhree I can read up on the varous satellites and where they are, what they broadcast etc?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You're right that there are clusters of satellites at certain positions in the sky. Astra 28 has cluster of satellites at 28.2E and nearby (and effectively co-located) is Eutelsat 28 at 28.5E. You don't say what size dish you're using but unless it's approaching 3m in diameter you won't see any difference between 28.2 and 28.5 let alone the individual ones at 28.2.

There is also a cluster of satellites at 19E, which you appear to have found already. You won't be able to tell the difference there either.

As Timo has said you need to move your dish eastwards a bit more. It won't be a huge difference in position so you need to go nudge, nudge, nudge until you get into roughly the right position. It's probably best to go past the right position and then centralise between two slightly "off" points. You then should check the up/down position. If it was aligned precisely on 19E then you need to lower the dish ever so slightly, just a nudge is normally enough for 28E.

The elevation of 28 degrees is difficultb to check on an off-set dish unless there is a scale stamped onto it somewhere. It's only with a prime focus dish (circular with the LNB directly in the centre) that this andgle is obvious. Off-set dishes tend to be made so that, exactly as tou have found, the dish face is more-or-less vertical wheb set up right.

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
OK, moved the dish and now have found SOME uk channels mixed in with foreign ones. The EPG is nothing like it used to be (i.e. the channel order and numbers etc) so guess I still dont have the right satellite but must be close. Is it just a case of move it a bit, retune and try again or is there a better way?

I've now seen the markings on the side of the dish now I'm in daylight so setting the correct angle should be easier.

THanks

JP

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
UPDATE: OK, tried adjusting the angle SLIGHTLY and it verified my postcose on teh HUmax box and seems to be searching an picking up the right channles........fingers crossed I have it right this time.

Great bit of kit this sat finder - saved me a fortune in call out fees to get a sparky to line the dish up - very expensive here in Norway!!!

Will let you know if all goes well but MASSIVE thanks for all the help from everyone :)

JP

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
All is well - just the UK TV now and channels as they were originally, phew, childrens TV is back for the kids :)

Cheers everyone, another success story!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's a great result. It wasn't so hard in the end, was it?

John Parton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Stavanger, Norway
nope, just a bit of patience and greatfully received help from here :)
Thanks again - want to find out more now :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent result. Well done.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod