Freesat Near Cologne

DominionSpy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
64cm Dish pointing at Astra 28.2E
My Location
Cologne, Germany
My parents live approx. 60km south-east of Cologne, Germany. They currently have a 64cm dish pointing at Astra 28.2°E. They've got some German receiver that allows them to see some UK channels, such as BBC 1 and 2, ITV 1,2,3 and 4, Channel 4 and news channels, but not others (BBC3, BBC4, E4, Film4, Dave and so on). I was thinking of getting them a Freesat receiver, but I'm not sure it will work. Can anyone help me?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The German Receiver should be able to get (Most of*) the missing Channels - It will simply have an out-of-date Transponder list stored.This can either be manually update by adding/editing to correspond to the correct listings as shown on Flysat or by carrying out an Auto (Blind) Scan.

* Dave is the exception as it is not Free To Air on Satellite and requires a BSkyB Subscription.

Also, if they have CBBC and CBeebies stored, then these morph into BBC 3 and BBC 4 at 19.00 UK Time each evening.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes a Freesat Receiver will work - but it will require a suitable UK Postcode to be entered. Suitable = one that lies within the BBC/ITV Region of most interest, for the purpose of setting the relevant Channel Numbers.

One thing to be wary of is the Dish Size as recent and future changes in the Satellites mean that reception in mainland Europe is not necessarily going to be as good as it has been historically.

DominionSpy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
64cm Dish pointing at Astra 28.2E
My Location
Cologne, Germany
Thank you for the info - it was very useful!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Tivù said:
Tivù, on 27 Feb 2013 - 11:21, said:
One thing to be wary of is the Dish Size as recent and future changes in the Satellites mean that reception in mainland Europe is not necessarily going to be as good as it has been historically.
64cm may already be too small for the new Astra 2F satellite. Check whether you can receive any of the C5 family (10964 H), 4seven (11127 V) or some of the ITV1 regions (10994 H). See http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2f.php for details.

I've assumed that the receiver is not HD but note that C5HD is not included in the above package as it is encrypted.