PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well, I've registered for email updates. Let's see what transpires.

I've also read right through the site, including the FAQs, and there's NO mention of any encryption or card being needed, even for HD.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Still little light on detail, but at least it has some information. :)

The bit on HD is a bit sketchy, doesn't mention anything about receiver availability, really doesn't say anything more about the standard receiver either, I wonder whether it'll be hobbled like the Sky digibox. It'll also be interesting to see when the boxes hit the wholesalers, or whether they will be limited to the chain stores mentioned on the site and limited to their choice of installer.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how this transpires :-doh!

Just wondering if i will still need to fill out Sky reception reports for each dish installed or will it need to be a Freesat reception report :confused

:-beer

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It will be using exactly the same channels & satellites as are currently in use now - the whole concept is just an alternative to Sky UK's pay service using new equipment and a new software "front end" in the box.

So if you cant already get some of the uk channels you arent going to be any better off :D

H

hoppo1

Thanks for the quick reply.
Just coming off of the SKY platform then really. 2.4mtr it is then!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I like the very smooth dissolve/wipe on the banner at the top... :)

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
I want a HDTV SAT receiver fer lil' Quids ....... Am I gonna be in luck ?

I freakin' doubt it :(

Everything is sooooooooooo Secret secret ...... Could tell ya but would have to eat ya ....... Sniff sniff ...... My OMG detector is twitching

suefortecstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Platinum
My Location
Italy
We can't get BBC etc on 28.2 in Southern Italy, even with a huge dish, from what information I've gathered from various forums. But I was hoping that the coverage of Eurobird1 as shown on the following link would mean that we would get Freesat. I would appreciate any help and advise. Thanks
_www.astra2d.com/eurobird1.htm

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Eurobird 1 will ONLY be carrying the epg information (plus of course the current range of shopping & religious channels :D).

The channels will be more or less staying where they are now ( although C4 and its family may move onto 2D at some point next year)

Thereds nowhere near enough capacity on EB1 for the BBC & ITV channels alone - - last time I looked about 9 transponders would be required for them alone , and theres maybe 2 or 3 free.

suefortecstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Platinum
My Location
Italy
Thanks for your reply
but...
does that mean the information given by
_http://www.astra2d.com/freesat.htm
is wrong?
'Arqiva has been awarded a contract by the BBC to help create the Freesat platform, due for launch in March of 2008. The company has been working with the BBC for more than 18 months to develop initial plans, and began platform testing last in August 2007. The Freesat platform is to use the Eurobird 1 satellite situated at 28.5° east, this has a far wider footprint than the Astra 2D satellite currently used by both the BBC and ITV. Arqiva have confirmed to the Astra 2D Website, that tests are being carried out on transponder C5, 11.385 horizontal polarization. '
I must admit I found it strange that any of this was on the Astra2d web site.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I suspect thats just an incredibly badly worded press release myself. :D

reasons:

- When the BBC went fta they said there were no rights problems if they used the UK spotbeam on 2D. ITV used the same argument when they followed down the fta route a year or so later.

- Both the BBC & ITV will have long term contracts with SES Astra for their carriage. (Athough I dont know the exact details I do know ITV contracted extra tp capacity on 2C less than a year ago)

- Theres no way on earth ITV & BBC can be shoehorned into EB1 as she stands at the moment

perthkenny

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Blade BM7000s HD receiver with Cccam/Newcamd, Acer Netbook, Netgear 3g wireless 4 port router,Time Athlon XP2400mhz Desktop. 2 x 80cm dishes- lnb1 at 13east,lnb2 at 19east, lnb3 on the 2nd dish for 28.2east Astra 2B south beam. Everything is open now
My Location
South Italy
Doesn't look good for us in South Italy then!
On another matter, Anologuesat, I see your'e also a Fortec Star owner. Al7 bar do not seem to be updating the software for my Platinum box. Do you happen to know of another source of software for these, by any chance?
Worth starting a new thread for this?
Cheers K.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - start a new thread in the s/w section, but dont hold your breath. Albar was the only supplier of unofficial s/w Ive ever seen, and they are notorious for dropping support of older models.

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
According to what sat mag ch 4 will have to move to 2d for copyright reasons as others have said - so not good for you folk on foreign soil, but thats the idea

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
kip said:
According to what sat mag ch 4 will have to move to 2d for copyright reasons as others have said - so not good for you folk on foreign soil, but thats the idea

Not good indeed. Unless you're a big dish installer ... :) Funny isn't it : everyone in the UK thinks the telly is crap and everyone outside the UK can't get enough of it.

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
rolfw said:
It'll also be interesting to see when the boxes hit the wholesalers, or whether they will be limited to the chain stores mentioned on the site and limited to their choice of installer.

Word from our distributor is boxes will be limited to certain dealers that meet certain criteria (still unknown) and installers must be CAI approved which i see as a waste of space myself when they will be selling self install kits in Argos! So they promote self install but if you go through a dealer & have installed they have to be approved!

Only 2 boxes to be initially released, one made by Grundig & Humax.