Freesat

Martinze1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Shetland
Recently moved up north , have no aerial/sky and don't intend to pay either.
So I have a humax freesat box, sky dish and and a FQ8 LBS lnb.

Placed sky dish on the old bracket outside and found position using an satellite app, but I can't seem to receive any signals.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Martin....

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
It would be easier if you had a satellite signal finder, even a cheap one, from a local DIY store.
To find Astra 2, 28.2E, might require fine movements, of your dish, East/West, Up/Down, until you have a signal lock, and can view some free channels.
You could try using dishpointer.com, type in your postcode, select Astra 2, 28.2E, from the drop down box, zoom in on the photo, and move the green icon, to your house, and roughly where you have your dish located, this will give you a general idea, where to point your dish.
What was the satellite App you used?

Martinze1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Shetland
You could try using dishpointer.com, type in your postcode, select Astra 2, 28.2E, from the drop down box, zoom in on the photo, and move the green icon, to your house, and roughly where you have your dish located, this will give you a general idea, where to point your dish.
What was the satellite App you used?

I used satellite finder pro, put the phone on the arm/mast and moved around til it locked on and tightened up, I think its the angle of the dish I'm struggling with...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dish face should be almost vertical.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I used satellite finder pro, put the phone on the arm/mast and moved around til it locked on and tightened up, I think its the angle of the dish I'm struggling with...

If you got a signal lock then chances are you have found the wrong satellite cluster. 13E or 19E are most likely

Martinze1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Shetland
Received satellite finder in post today, and i now have signal , but a lot of alzejera channels , and not english.. helppppp please !!

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Received satellite finder in post today, and i now have signal , but a lot of alzejera channels , and not english.. helppppp please !!

Hi ...
Wrong satellite ..... I see you are located in Shetland ... Dish elevation up there will need be quite low ... dish face well beyond vertical for 28 east (freesat channels) ... and by the sound of things more to the left .. you are not far away now i think :cool: .... try lowering the elevation a degree or two then slowly move left .
regards ..

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^^^^^^

Spot on. I hadn't realised he was quite so far north when I first replied.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Can you please post some channel names, and frequencies, as Al Jazeera broadcasts on a number of satellites.

Martinze1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Shetland
Yes im up shetland, i seem to be able to get some good channels, not sure how i can get the frequencies, i've been at this most of the afternoon, i can easily lock on to the finder, and using the phone , the correct azimuth ? but all foreign channels

Iran international,
TPAI,
Iranefarda.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Try using dishpointer, to give you a better idea of where to point your dish.
Code:
https://www.dishpointer.com/
Type in your postcode, select Astra 2, 28.2E, from the drop down satellite box, then zoom in on the map, moving the green icon to your house, and see where roughly you should be pointing your dish.
Otherwise move the dish to the left, as you stand behind the dish, and find the various satellites, on the way, 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E, and on to 28.2E.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Hi -
This is how my offset camping dish looks when receiving freesat at 28 east on the Isle of Skye ... you will need the nose
down a further degree on Shetland.
Image.jpg

Martinze1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Shetland
right thanks for all your replies, i have remounted the dish near as to the floor as possible, and i now have 100 % signal and quality, and full uk channels.

I've only recently moved up here... and self install is all new to me, as they want over £200 for the privilege here.

Thank you all.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
So it's pints of single malt all round then!

Seriously, well done for persevering and seeing it through.