UK
My current setup consists of items below:-

Roof mounted Aerial
8 way distribution amplifier in loft
8 runs of coax cable from loft distribution amp to 8 rooms
7 of the rooms have a Freeview box
1 room has a Freview PVR

I want to keep Freeview, but also have Freesat

From what I read, is it possible to take out my distribution amp and replace it with a multiswitch - the multiswitch will have 5 inputs (1 from the aeriel and 4 from a quad or quattro LN:cool: and 8 outputs

What is the differentce between a quad and a quattro LND, and which would I need

This multiswitch will then distribute the Freeview and Freesat down to each room using the already installed 8 runs of coax

Is it correct that each single run to each room can carry both the Freeview and Freesat

If this is correct, is it just a matter of having a 2 way splitter (one for Freview and the other for Freesat) or do I need something else to get it to work

If I then eventually want a Freesat PVR, can I just use a 3 way splitter (1 Freeview and 2 for the Freesat PVR), or is the Freesat PVR going to need an extra run of coax

As I finished doing up my house about six months ago, I had hidden all the coax runs under floorboards and behind skirting boards, so I would like to avoid having to relay new runs of coax if possible

This will be the first time I've had any form of Satellite, so I am a complete noob to this

Any information would be gratefully received

Many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What you can do, will depend mainly on the type of coax you have run to the rooms, is it satellite quality double screened?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, unfortunately, for a succesful setup. satellite quality double screened coax is essential. Your proposal otherwise, I think is fairly straight forward, with a bit of thought. On the receiver end of the multi-switch you cannot use a splitter for the satellite signal, but a splitter for is OK for terrestrial use.

A Quad LNB has four outputs that are all the same, and is designed to run 4 separate receivers, or 2 twin tuners, or a combination. Each receiver sends a signal to its part of the LNB to switch band (low or high) and polarisation(H or V).

The Quattro LNB has 4 different outputs High band V, High band H,Low band V, Low band H. It is designed for connection to a multiswitch. So you would need a Quattro.

:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
To add to the comments; if it's RG6, it will only technically be rated up to 1000Mhz and may be too lossy for satellite signals.

But...... to briefly answer your question, you would need TV/Sat diplexed outlet plates in each room rather than splitters.

LNb: Quattro LNb's are used to operate with multi-switches only. All switching is done within the switch. A quad LNb has four switchable outlets controlled directly from the receiver, Although not to complicate matters, there are two manufactures that I know of that have multiswitches that use Q2 technology that can talk to a quad :D

EDIT: I'm too slow Robbo :D

ntm1275

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE
My Location
UK
Thanks for the information guys, I'm starting to understand what I need now

The coax that I have is the same as Sky install, it does have a part number printed on it, but I'll have to dig out the reel to check

So I need a
Quattro LNB
5 input, 8 outlet Multiswitch (any preferred brands/makes that you can suggest)
8 diplex outlet plates for each room

Two last questions:-

If I eventually get a Freesat PVR, will the satellite socket from the diplex plate be able to feed the two inputs on the PVR, or will a single feed work with a splitter
I've never seen the back of a satellite PVR, so I don't know whether there are two inputs or one input that is split internally
or do PVR's have to have two seperate coax feeds

What dish do I need, 60cm, 80cm, eliptical, round etc

Many thanks

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You can get single tuner PVRs but the better ones are twin tuner so that you can record one channel whilst watching another like the Sky+ boxes.

There are no Freesat PVRs at present, they have not been released as yet. They will be realeased later in the year I believe. It is bound to have a twin tuner though I would have thought.

A twin tuner satellite PVR would have two LNB inputs. They have to be separate, because of the internal LNB switching already mentioned, or in the case of a multiswitched feed, the switching inside the multiswitch.

For the twin tuners there is a way of getting them to work on a single feed, but only to a limited extent, because the 2nd tuner would only be able to tune to a channel who's transponder is in the same band and polarity as what the first tuner is tuned to. It may be possible to get them to work in single tuner mode, but since there are no Freesat PVRs yet, who knows.

Any old dish will do for 28E, the Sky minidish is the norm, for better rain margin the slightly larger zone 2 dishes are better. A run of the mill offset 60cm round dish fitted with a standard 40mm neck universal LNB (Quattro) would also do the job fine.
Not sure if they do Quattro LNBs for Sky dishes, but I would have thought so.
You should be OK with the coax that Sky use, it should be sat quality stuff after all.

I'll leave the professional installers to suggest brands of multiswitch to get as they would have the experience.

:)

ntm1275

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NONE
My Location
UK
So the best way forward for a Freesat PVR (when they arrive) is to have two seperate coax feeds from the multiswitch

Funny enough, the easiest cable to run is to where the PVR would be situated

I'm just trying to get my head around what I need before calling someone in to instal the dish and LNB feeds

I can lay the extra feed from the attic to the living room myself

I hate being ripped off, so I try to find out as much as I can before calling someone in to do the work
At least then I will have an idea whether the installer is takling bulls**t, and whether he is installing the correct cable not just any old spare cheap coax he had lying around from his last job

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Errm, you are going to need a bigger multiswitch though, if you want one of the feeds to be a twin. The next size up is probably 5 in 12 out I think.

I would say that the easiest part of the whole job would be putting the dish up, why don't you do it yourself? if you are going to do the rest.:)

I imagine that any decent independent installer would use the good cable anyway, if purchased on a large reel, the cost/m really comes down.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The correct cable that should be used is CAI benchmarked.

For $ky Plus to work, you have to double up the switch ie. 16 way in your case but.......................

.........there is another option called Stacker / De-stacker.

Basically, it's a two part unit that will give you two feeds using one cable. One unit at switch location, the other at receiver. These units shift the second signals up to the 3Ghz range and back down again so good quality cable will be required. You can use this product for twin feeds on a single cable. Google it :D