freeview in france

rxc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New to the home satellite system apart from a disused sky system which I use for free view. Top dell dimension 9200 computer setup
My Location
England
Hi all, I will be installing a metronic 80cm (from maplin electronics) system to receive free-view tv in central France. I want to split the system to enable viewing in four different rooms (kids demanding this) with the ability to watch four different channels. is this possible? I know about the 4 way LNB, its the rest that i need help with. any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - rxc

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rxc said:
Hi all, I will be installing a metronic 80cm (from maplin electronics) system to receive free-view tv in central France. I want to split the system to enable viewing in four different rooms (kids demanding this) with the ability to watch four different channels. is this possible? I know about the 4 way LNB, its the rest that i need help with. any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - rxc

Hi rxc,

To watch just four different channels, you are correct, a 4-way LNB is needed, it is called a QUAD LNB.

Then all you need is four FTA (free to air) digital satellite receivers.

Then just connect each of the LNB outputs to the inputs of the four receivers, and scan the channels in.

Depending on what receivers you buy, and if they are all the same, it may be possible to just set up the channel list on one of them and clone it from one box to another.

Robbo

P.S. The term 'Freeview' applies to Digital Terrestrial Television through an aerial only.

For satellite it is FTA satellite, there is also soon going to be a launch of 'FREESAT', which is being run by the BBC, I believe.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A quad LNB on the dish and four satellite receivers will do the job, obviously at the moment Sky digiboxes with Freesat cards are mostly used (to watch channels 4 and 5 which require a card), but come March and the Launch of BBC Freesat, you may be able to use standard receivers for all but Five.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You might like to think about putting an 8 output LNB as you have no room for further expansion, such as yet another room or a dual input PVR such as a $ly + box

rxc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
New to the home satellite system apart from a disused sky system which I use for free view. Top dell dimension 9200 computer setup
My Location
England
thanks for your replies, most helpful. Another question, if I fit a universal quad LNB, a sky digibox with card and three cheap digi receivers, will I encounter any problems or will this setup just work? I get confused with the relationship between a sky LNB and a universal LNB, are they specific for their application, ie, sky LNB for sky digibox etc.

Many tanks again to all - rxc

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rxc said:
thanks for your replies, most helpful. Another question, if I fit a universal quad LNB, a sky digibox with card and three cheap digi receivers, will I encounter any problems or will this setup just work? I get confused with the relationship between a sky LNB and a universal LNB, are they specific for their application, ie, sky LNB for sky digibox etc.

Many tanks again to all - rxc

The sky LNBs are universal. (So are universal ones :) )

Sky LNBs just have a different shaped feedhorn built into them, as Sky dishes are a funny shape.

So yes, the setup will work.