Freeview / old box

philsmall

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hello again

I am using a Philips O* digi** box to access all the latest Freeview channels. Using the option from the menu to "add channels" most channels are there, except for CNN and most annoying, is that the old channel from the previous system are still showing, like E4, Sky 1 and so on. I moved all the new channels together, which is ok, however, would liek a clean system!

How can I get CNN now and how can I delete the old channels which are not in use anylonger?

thanks.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Press menu, then 5 Getting Started, then 4 Store Channels, Then Select, the box will then override any former channel line-up in favour of the new channels available.:D

philsmall

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
thanks for this, but this is exactly what I have been doing now several times! still no CNN and old green boxes / old channels still showing! is there a way to do a master reset? thanks

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
No, you said you did an "Add Channels" you need to do a Store Channels" from the same menu.

Add channels, as it's name sugests adds any new channels it finds but does not delete anything.

Store Channels wipes everything that was there and re scans leaving you only with the channels that it finds.

You won't find CNN, that's not part of the freeview line up. it IS available for free on Digital Satellite and Analogue satellite.

philsmall

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Thank you ProDave, you are right.

Now, just tried to do that, and I must enter a Parental code...

Being alone in the house, and having bought the box now a few years ago, I never recall entering a Parental code, consequently, a bit of a nightmare to find the right code now!

what is now the best option? thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you've still got your old viewing card in the box you need to take it out.

philsmall

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Thank you Rolfw, it is now ok and works fine! thank you to all for your help!

Now, better have a look at my old analogue receiver (old Nokia Sky box) and I have also a digita box (ElSat), do not really know what and where to point at to get the best selection of FTA channels!

thanks again :)

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Your old analogue box is best pointed at Astra 1, 19.2 degrees E(the same place that the original Sky analogue service was)

In English you will still find CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg (daytime only) and Eurosport. There are 4 German music channels (most of the music is English) and many other German channels.

RTL1 is usefull for watching some sport, particularly F1, so that when the ITV adverts come on, you can switch to RLT1 to continue watching. (for English cometary while doing this use Radio 5)

From Hotbird 13 degrees E you will get BBC World and TBN in English and DW, a German news channel shows regular programs in English. There's also a dozen or so other channels mainly French and italian.

There is no analogue service from Astra 2.

Your digibox can be used on all three. Astra 2 at 28.2 degrees E (where the new Sky digital comes from) has the most English free channels, but Hotbird and Astra 1 have many free foreign channels as well.

The best and most updated list of what's where can be found on http://www.lyngsat.com/

Rather than be limited to just one, why not put 3 LNB's all on one dish then you can switch between them for maximum choice.

Enjoy.

philsmall

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Thanks ProDave for this. If I have a 3 LNB, does the one cable I have is enough, from the dish to the box, or do I need more cables? regards

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scottish Highlands
I have 3 cables, and my switching is done behind the receivers. I made my own switch using a coaxial relay.

The alternative is one cable and a Diseq switch at the dish , but you need to make sure your satellite receivers can drive one of these. I don't have any experience of these, so someone else will have to tell you more about them.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Does the Elsat digital receiver has DiseqC?

If it does, then you can use a DiseqC switch on a 3 LNB dish 28.2, 19.2 and 13E, make the LNB on 19.2 a twin and run a separate cable in to your analogue receiver (That will give you a permanent Eurosport or News channel), there will be one cable from the DiseqC switch to the Digital receiver.

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Tm-7755 + 13/19/28° - PC Pentium Windows XP Pro
My Location
UK
You cannot use a Disequ switch with a Sky digibox or for that matter an analogue box alone. The best option if you wish to use the Sky digibox for foreign channels is to visit: http://www.sfmuk.com/ who make just the thing. I have recently bought the smart switch from them which is remote controlled and works very well. There are other types that they do but I could not get any of them to work with my Panasonic receiver!

mill9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate Tm-7755 + 13/19/28° - PC Pentium Windows XP Pro
My Location
UK
P.S. I see you have another receiver also! In that case the Disequ may do the job.