Freeview to introduce Top-up TV?

N

net1

Freeview viewers could soon be offered a pay-TV upgrade, under plans to launch a new subscription service. Former Sky executives David Chance and Ian West are putting the finishing touches to Top-up TV, which will apparently offer a clutch of channels including Sky One and E4.

Chance and West were one of the applicants who tendered a bid to run the DTT service after the demise of ITV Digital in 2002 but lost out to the joint BBC/Sky/Crown Castle consortium, Freeview.

Top-Up TV, which will cost around £8-£10 per month, will be offered initially to Freeview viewers who use an old ITV Digital box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wonder what encryption they will use. ;)

I can see people desperately hunting around for old and previously unwanted boxes.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Presumably as it will be targeted at the old style boxes it will be Seca, probably in its Seca II incarnation if the boxes can be upgraded.

I can't see any reason for this targeting if they are going to use any other system and need a different CAM. This might make all those people who bought ultra-cheap Freeview boxes that can't be expanded a bit sick though.

PaulR

F

F1Mike

Are there still a few recievers on the market with card slots? It would seem sensible to continue to release new models. My ex-ITV Digital Philips is bloody awful. It was never the same again after all the interactive stuff appeared. If the new service was not secure I don't think I'd pay to watch it, as I have Sky already, and already pay for the channels in question. No way would I pay for them twice

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't see it taking off too well in the short term, most people who want subscription TV already have it by Sky or Cable, the reason that Freeview is taking off is because it carries no ongoing charges.

N

net1

An arcane piece of European legislation which required that all IDTVs include something called a common interface (CI) is likely to have a pay-off after all. While some manufacturers have been complaining that it is unfair (and expensive) to require these slots to be included in IDTVs but not in set-top boxes, the projected launch of a clutch of paid-for channels on the UK's digital terrestrial television (DTT) platform should now have them singing a different tune. For the CI slot, in essence, makes all IDTVs upgradeable to pay-TV - because something called a conditional access module or CAM can be plugged into them.

The old ITV Digital boxes, of which there are estimated to be somewhere between 400,000 and 800,000 still active, were designed to unscramble pay-TV channels, and have the required technology built into them. But the vast majority of Freeview boxes don't, because they don't incorporate the necessary CI slot. The exceptions are the Nokia Mediamaster 221T and the Netgem i-Player. Some early Pace boxes - such as the DTVA - are also in principle upgradeable to pay-TV because they have a smartcard slot embedded in the base, but Pace would need to invest some money in a software upgrade for that to work.

Which leaves the estimated 500,000 IDTVs out there sitting pretty. By the end of this year, if manufacturers' predictions are accurate, there should be 1 million of them in UK TV homes - and all of them represent potential pay-TV customers for Top-Up TV, the new pay-TV offer designed to be launched alongside the free-to-air Freeview channels sometime later this year. Since most IDTVs also incorporate the right connectors to attach modems to, they are beginning to emerge as one of the few future-proof DTT receivers around, since they will be able also to offer true, two-way interactivity, unlike most Freeview set-top boxes. Let's hope IDTV manufacturers make the most of that selling-point during the course of 2004.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Matthew Seaman has quit as head of Freeview and it's rumoured he is planning to join Top Up TV.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think that he may have jumped to the sinking ship. ;)

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
PaulR said:
This might make all those people who bought ultra-cheap Freeview boxes that can't be expanded a bit sick though.
Serves the cheapskate "Ner-Do-Wells" right I say ;)

:D :D :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I bought a Nokia Mediamaster 221T a while back, and when I got it home and set it up, I was disgusted to find a CI slot in the base 'just in case...' the manual said.

I was so disgusted that my 'Free'view box would obviously become a 'Pay'view box, I jammed a piece of toast in it. Very hard. With Superglue on it.

I'm beginning to question the fact that I buttered it now, as it does smell a bit rancid for the first five minutes of use.

kenrea

Reaction score
I've got a Nokia 221t, and after reading the news about Top Up Tv I slid my Aston 1.05 cam in to the Nokia's ci slot and up came a message on screen to enter card. So I am assuming I am ready to go.
When I rang the company the lady seemed a little bit puzzled about ci cams and could not help or refer me to anyone technical.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
I bet they love you......... Look Its £10 on line £20 on phone setup.......£8 a month, we'll giv ya a card to post in the ON/ITV box slot fing..................

I'll give you cams sonny..... I'll have you know I was in the war you know.......... You & your conditional access ........Gawd Dang Prevert............. W00t you wanna talk to a Mayn ......... Dang Homo Prevert ;) Don't you go sliding your aston near me I'll call 911 O-Ha

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The official site states that the original Ondigital boxes will require an 'over the air' upgrade.

I cant believe that after all these years, TopUpTv has gained the rights to upgrades on some if not all the models, and actually ensure that a suitable upgrade can be sent over the air . Additionally there are a large number of IDTVs out there where the backup vanished as soon as ITV digital went to the wall.

Its going to be an interesting month

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Dunno if this is still Current but, In New Zealand SKY Ran/Run the Terrestrially transmitted option & it worked a treat.... Dunno if it was digital or not either way it is very similar to here. Ya buy a box & package, plug it in ..... Swear a lot cos your antenna isn't up to the job..... Get a new one fitted :rolleyes:

Anyways my point is it works fine, I dunno how many channels it is capable of providing, but its great :)

I suppose we should promote competition but its a bit weired ........ I suppose I'll wait till Top up TV boxes come out :rolleyes: I do like plenty of electronics to play with :D

( http://www.sky.co.nz TV Geek Link ;) )

ianmroberts

Reaction score
I ahve just purchased the excellent Sony set top box, far better than the Nokia Media Master that hub daily & was very slow on interactive. Surely this is not already redundant ? Will it not be possible to produce a device that could be added to non slot boxes ?

Bluemax

Reaction score
Top Up TV only just come out but someone at digitalspy forum already hacked top up tv card!
Admin promptly deleted the details he gave out.

deshg

Reaction score
well anyone who has any info on how to hack it, or even pointers in the right direction, it would be most appreciated. assuming we've got a card programmer.

deshg

Reaction score
sorry, mistake. forgot to request reply notification! hope you guys crack it!