Freeview viewers prefer traditional TV

N

net1

The appeal of the digital channels available on Freeview has been called into question by new research showing that owners of the digital terrestrial boxes spend more than 80% of their viewing time watching the five traditional terrestrial channels.

Digital channels accounted for 17% of all viewing in Freeview homes during March, according to audience research body Barb. During the corresponding period last year, subscribers to ITV Digital, the defunct pay service that Freeview was set up to replace, spent double the amount of time watching digital channels.

Analysts believe the poor viewing figures for Freeview's digital channels are due to the absence of pay services like UK Gold, E4 and various sports and movie offerings that existed on ITV Digital.

Freeview channels include BBC3, BBC4, QVC and ITV2. The early success of Freeview, a joint venture between BBC, BSkyB and transmission firm Crown Castle, has exceeded expectations since its launch in October last year. By early March 500,000 of the plug-in-and-play boxes had been sold taking the total number of digital terrestrial homes to nearly 1.4m.

Andy Duncan, BBC's marketing director, said Freeview purchasers appeared satisfied and cautioned against reading too much into early viewing figures.

"They're quite happy paying their £99 to get two or three extra channels and not too worried if they don't watch the rest because their overall viewing experience has been enhanced," he said.

"Even with the 200 or so channels available in pay homes, most people tend not to regularly watch more than a dozen or so core channels."

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The sooner that they stop comparing the viewing habits on Freeview with Pay TV, the more relevant their research will be. The fact that for one day in six, people are not watchiing one of the five main channels shows that it is taking off, most of these are people who would never consider Pay TV, my old Mum being amongst them. She wouldn't even look at Sky (Even when it was there for her), but has got into the 30 channels or so of Freeview.

Also, when they start producing digital decoder TV sets, just watch it take off.

PS I am one of these people with Sky who only watches three or four channels.........Waht a waste. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
From The Oxford Dictionary

1 not in bondage to or under the control of another; having personal rights and social and political liberty.
2 (of a state, or its citizens or institutions) subject neither to foreign domination nor to despotic government; having national and civil liberty (a free press; a free society).
3 a unrestricted, unimpeded; not restrained or fixed. b at liberty; not confined or imprisoned. c released from ties or duties; unimpeded. d unrestrained as to action; independent (set free).
4 (foll. by of, from) a not subject to; exempt from (free of tax). b not containing or subject to a specified (usu. undesirable) thing (free of preservatives; free from disease).
5 (foll. by to + infin.) able or permitted to take a specified action (you are free to choose).
6 unconstrained (free gestures).
7 a available without charge; costing nothing. b not subject to tax, duty, trade-restraint, or fees.
8 a clear of engagements or obligations (are you free tomorrow?). b not occupied or in use (the bathroom is free now). c clear of obstructions.
9 spontaneous, unforced (free compliments).
10 open to all comers.
11 lavish, profuse; using or used without restraint (very free with their money).
12 frank, unreserved.
13 (of a literary style) not observing the strict laws of form.
14 (of a translation) conveying the broad sense; not literal.
15 forward, familiar, impudent.
16 (of talk, stories, etc.) slightly indecent.
17 Physics a not modified by an external force. b not bound in an atom or molecule.
18 Chem. not combined (free oxygen).
19 (of power or energy) disengaged or available.
adv.
1 in a free manner.
2 without cost or payment.
3 Naut. not close-hauled.
v.tr.
1 make free; set at liberty.
2 (foll. by of, from) relieve from (something undesirable).
3 disengage, disentangle.
for free colloq. free of charge, gratis.
free and easy informal, unceremonious.
free on board (or rail) without charge for delivery to a ship or railway wagon.
free up colloq.
1 make available.
2 make less restricted.[/b]

Think that this may cover all of the options :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Given the vague nature of the question, yes, I would guess so. ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that Net1's work probably entitles him to a free subscription Swainston, mine did some time ago as well, but I didn't like who I was working for. Now I like who I work for....Me (No accounting for taste :)), but unfortunately I have to pay for my Sky....Funny ol' life innit.:)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Nice posts Rolf.....made me :)

N

net1

Originally posted by rolfw
I believe that Net1's work probably entitles him to a free subscription Swainston, mine did some time ago as well, but I didn't like who I was working for. Now I like who I work for....Me (No accounting for taste :)), but unfortunately I have to pay for my Sky....Funny ol' life innit.:)

I don't work for them Rolf M8. I have a dealer card.
O-Ha O-Ha O-Ha

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Net1, that's what I meant. Didn't mean to infer that you worked for the great satan :D