freeview

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can receive from one of the transmitters mentioned on This page you may be in with a fighting chance.

big foot

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
If you can receive from one of the transmitters mentioned on This page you may be in with a fighting chance.
thanks rolf i get bbc on analogue from brougher mountain at the moment its a bit snowy picture is it worth trying digital or would it be poor picture ^-J

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Digital signals can sometimes be surprisingly good compared to their analogue counterparts, but as a general rule, if you get a bad analogue signal, you will get a substandard digital signal. The digital signal from this transmitter is only 0.5KW, so not very strong, you may find though, that putting up a higher gain antenna on a taller mast may produce dividends.

As a matter of interest, how far are you from the transmitter?

big foot

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
rolfw said:
Digital signals can sometimes be surprisingly good compared to their analogue counterparts, but as a general rule, if you get a bad analogue signal, you will get a substandard digital signal. The digital signal from this transmitter is only 0.5KW, so not very strong, you may find though, that putting up a higher gain antenna on a taller mast may produce dividends.

As a matter of interest, how far are you from the transmitter?
hi rolf im about 100-120 miles from transmitter i can also get divis transmitter but very poor good in good weather but in bad weather it keeps going i need two go up a lot higher i dont want two do that divis is aprox 150 -170 miles :-band

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would be very surprised if you will be able to receive the digital signals at that distance, particularly given the low power of the transmitter Big foot, but that isn't to say that it is impossible. If you could find someone with a digital Spectrum analyser, they may be able to offer a clue.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
120 miles is certainly not unheard of for clear reception of terrestrial band digital signals

The main criteria is going to be a clear line of site (curvature of earth notwithstanding), and as few alternative longer paths for the signal (mountains, cliff faces, even forests) as possible, to prevent cancelling out of the precious initial signal

A good high gain hight directional aerial with efficient grid, on a tall steady mast, maybe with preamp, and short run to the freeview box.