French Channels in UK

beusse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
Hi, i'd like to get french channel in the Uk. Thought about going analog as advised by some friend who already got old Sky receiver, but does not seem promising looking at the different reviews on the forums.

I have a Ferguson SRB1, anychance to use this to get analog french channel?

otherwise how to set up digital receiver to get those channels.

i am new to all this things. Can you help ?
Thanks

beusse

McDude

Reaction score
Lots of french channels on hotbird 13E and astra 19E mate. Have a look on lyngsat.com.
Hotbird main channels are TPS package and SRG which has mixture of french and german. Unfortunately all are encrypted so you'll need a good digital receiver which has built in emulator or cam or you have to buy a cam seperately. Read the cam section for more info.
Astra 19 also has canal satellite france. Again majority are encrypted and you'll need a cam to clear, but quite a lot are S*ca2 which has no public files to clear.
There are a few free-to-air ones, so have a look at the list
You can probably get all with 60cm dish minimum

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
France 2,3,4,5 Arte & LCP are fta on 5W in digital. How long they will stay clear is a matter of much speculation.

However, its likely the analogue transmissions off 5W will continue for a few years yet as the signals are used to feed the terrstrial transmitter network,

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
beusse said:
I have a Ferguson SRB1

this is an old BSB box normally paired with a squarial - can these be used with standard analogue transmissions, i'm affraid i can't answer, but folks on this forum who've been around for a good few many years probably can.

you can pick up analogue receivers pretty cheap (~£20) on ebay these days:
h22p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29784&item=5761435038&rd=1

look, here's a new one

h22p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29784&item=5761668516&rd=1

Make sure you go for a model which provides 22KHz tone switching to go up to the high band - some of the old models don't (Like the panasonic TU-SD200 I have). Since the french channels from Atlantic Bird 3 at 5DegWest are in the hgiher band - all vertically polorised too, but this shouldn't be of concern even the most basic of ananlogue receivers provides Horiz/Vert switching.

Pair this with a modern universal LNB, and an 80cm dish if you're in the North of UK, 60cm is OK here in south and you're away:
TF1,FR2,FR3,FR5/ARTE,M6 come for free.

Oh, the last point to note is your TV must be S*caM compatible else you'll get B&W only - no colour.

Cheers.

cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes the Pace MSS 100 works with the French 5W stuff as long as you are using a universal LNB. Without S*cam compliant tv you will get a B&W picture with it.

Ive got one, and its quite a nice receiver

beusse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
Analoguesat said:
Yes the Pace MSS 100 works with the French 5W stuff as long as you are using a universal LNB. Without S*cam compliant tv you will get a B&W picture with it.

Thanks for all that.
I ll be out of the forum untill i installed all equipment. I'll probably be in touch as i'm new to all this and will definitely need advice.

beusse

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Analoguesat said:

Me too now, I just got it on ebay for £13.50 inc P&P!
h22p://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5761187576
cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I still use mine for aligning the dishes on those harder to find birds as it has a sensitive tuner.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, it's designed for the Sky minidish, so should be fine. What size is the minidish?

The novice

Reaction score
I've bought a universal LNB and have been trying to get a PACE MSS100 on ebay. Can anybody recommend other good, common second hand recievers to go for? Either that or does anybody have a PACE MSS100 to sell?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
rolfw said:
There are a couple of other analogue receivers on eBay at the moment

If you're patient the mss100 pops up quite a lot - I got one last week for £5.50!
_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5761187576
tonight I'll test it!

rolfw said:
but bear in mind that most of the terrestrial channels are now on 5W in digital

only a handful are at present, awaiting a few more like TF1, M6....

-cts

The novice

Reaction score
For the channels I want, these are all on analogue, so I'll probably stick to analogue at the moment. I was outbid today by 39p for an MSS100! I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks if they come up regularly

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
I've got the MSS500. It's good - its the posh one is the series. Not sure what extra it does. It may now come up around the same price as the MS100.

The novice

Reaction score
is the following any good for what I need (french analogue channels in the UK)

BT SVS250 Analogue Satellite Receiver

thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Should be fine.

Miladinovic

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analog and digital
EUTELSAT’S ATLANTIC BIRD™ 3 SATELLITE SELECTED TO DISTRIBUTE FRANCE’s NEW DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL TELEVISION (DTT) MULTIPLEXES TO BROADCAST TRANSMITTERS

</STRONG>

Paris, 29 March 2005 Eutelsat’s ATLANTIC BIRD™ 3 satellite, located at 5 degrees West, has been selected to deliver to broadcast transmitters the five new digital terrestrial multiplexes, which will start commercial service in France on 31 March. The 5 degrees West location has been used to deliver France’s analogue terrestrial TV channels to French transmitters since 1985.

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Miladinovic said:
EUTELSAT’S ATLANTIC BIRD™ 3 SATELLITE SELECTED TO DISTRIBUTE FRANCE’s NEW DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL TELEVISION (DTT) MULTIPLEXES TO BROADCAST TRANSMITTERS

</STRONG>

Paris, 29 March 2005 Eutelsat’s ATLANTIC BIRD™ 3 satellite, located at 5 degrees West, has been selected to deliver to broadcast transmitters the five new digital terrestrial multiplexes, which will start commercial service in France on 31 March. The 5 degrees West location has been used to deliver France’s analogue terrestrial TV channels to French transmitters since 1985.

LIDL is having a package deal right now. Does anyone know if this is will enough to receive french tv channels?
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050523.p.Portable_Satellite_Receiver