French Digital Terrestrial Television (TNT)

montaigne

Reaction score
Digital Terrestrial Television is about to be launched in France. Does anyone know if I can use my UK box over there?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't seen the spec yet, but I guess that they will use similar QAM rates etc, as the equipment is now available off the shelf.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
This seems to be a semi-official site http://www.tvnt.net/ in French. You should check the coverage maps as initially only about 35% of the population will be able to get digital terrestrial TV.

Only receivers that can decode an OFDM signal with 8K carriers will work in France. The first UK digital receivers could only cope with 2K carriers because they used cheaper and slower Digital Signal Processors (DSP). Consequently the UK has to keep on using 2K carrier transmissions. Sometimes being first isn't always a good idea!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting how bad the quality of the reception maps is, doesn't bode well for the service. ;)

montaigne

Reaction score
Thanks, I checked the site and it looks like I might just be in range. I have a Triax 2000 which I think does 8k. Anyway I'm going to give it a try at Easter, I'll post the results here.

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Interesting how bad the quality of the reception maps is, doesn't bode well for the service. ;)
Not surprising really when you consider the size of the country. Even with analogue TV, reception could be very poor even in some big cities. What is really criminal in France is that public TV is not free-to-view on digital satellite. After all, what do you pay your licence money for if you can't even have a decent, ghost-free picture with stereo sound?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
montaigne said:
Digital Terrestrial Television is about to be launched in France. Does anyone know if I can use my UK box over there?

depends which box you have, i recently bought a Sagem box (French made of course), which upon config asked you which country you were in and France was a choice. i now have a Sony which doesn't give you a choice.

-cts

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
easysat said:
Not surprising really when you consider the size of the country. Even with analogue TV, reception could be very poor even in some big cities. What is really criminal in France is that public TV is not free-to-view on digital satellite. After all, what do you pay your licence money for if you can't even have a decent, ghost-free picture with stereo sound?

Agree with the reception quality of analogue, but I was actually referring to the quality of the maps themselves, practically unreadable. :)

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Agree with the reception quality of analogue, but I was actually referring to the quality of the maps themselves, practically unreadable. :)
Apologies Rolf for not reading your post properly. On the site I mentioned, you can get better maps for a particular locality by following the link "Module TDF de recherche par communes" through to TDF's site. Or you can go direct to http://www.tdf.fr/tnt/ and hunt around. TDF runs most of the TV and radio transmitters in France.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Followed the links to the TDF site and, blow me down, there was even an option for an English version.

PaulR