French TV in the UK

The novice

Reaction score
So I finally got round to buying my kit. I have a universal LNB and I have bought an old Pace MSS100 from ebay. I also bought a Humax freeview/PVR which is already working well.

I'm trying to get the satellite dish working tonight and I just want to check where to point the satellite dish. Does 5W mean 5 degrees from due west. What angle do I need to point the dish from horizontal?

thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
5West is 5 degrees off due South, elevation will depend on where you are, but will be quite a bit higher than your minidish was originally pointing.

So if you are stood under your dish looking at where it is pointed, you need to swing it 33.5 degrees to the right and up by around 5 dgerees.

The novice

Reaction score
rolfw said:
5West is 5 degrees off due South, elevation will depend on where you are, but will be quite a bit higher than your minidish was originally pointing.

So if you are stood under your dish looking at where it is pointed, you need to swing it 33.5 degrees to the right and up by around 5 dgerees.

Do you mean 33.5 Degrees from where it is currently pointed (sky) or 33.5 degrees from due south? I'm getting slighty confused with the convention here. I'm used to 360degrees. thanks

Can I also borrow your ladder?!!!! Just joking, it's on a pole on flat roof, which I hope can bear my weight.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you are in most of the UK its 5 degrees west of due south if you are in Ireland it will be about due south

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The novice said:
Do you mean 33.5 Degrees from where it is currently pointed (sky) or 33.5 degrees from due south? I'm getting slighty confused with the convention here. I'm used to 360degrees. thanks

Can I also borrow your ladder?!!!! Just joking, it's on a pole on flat roof, which I hope can bear my weight.

33.5 from where it is currently.

The novice

Reaction score
Hmmm, slight problem. I'm not sure that the dish will clear the house next door at its current height. I presume it needs a clear line of sight - in which case I might need to put it on a pole. Not going to happen tonight!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The novice said:
Hmmm, slight problem. I'm not sure that the dish will clear the house next door at its current height.

I am always amazed at the position of some dishes and how they clear the satellites - may be worth a try before you buy a bigger pole.

See diagram below...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2618

Rolfw first again - how fast can that man type!!!!!

The novice

Reaction score
I phoned the guy in the local satellite shop, because I don't have a long enough ladder plus I don't want to get on the roof. He doesn't think that a minidish will be big enough to get a decent signal. I'm living in Sevenoaks, Kent. I already bought the universal LNB as well. I could ask them to test the signal with the old dish first. What do you guys think?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace MSS1000 Analogue receiver and Telestar Diginova2 Digital receiver
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
I am a newbie to satellite, too, so please excuse the terminology....or lack of it.

If I could reopen this topic.....I live on the south coast of England... I can pick up the French analogue channels from 5W, on my Pace MSS1000. Until a couple of months ago, I was picking up the digital FRANCE TV bouquet- from 5W also - using a Telestar Diginova 2 decoder. Now I can only receive it sporadically. I have been told by a local satellite supplier that the 5W French digital channels are still FTV, and that there have been no changes made to the encryption of the broadcasts. If this is the case, does this sound like a fault with the digital receiver?

All ideas / info gratefully received.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well all the channels are still there, http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html, just checked them and they are working fine on the frequencies stated on Lyngsat. Perhaps your dish is slightly out of alignment, what size is it?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
Thanks for the prompt reply, Rolf.

The dish is 80cm with a single Grundig Universal LNB (model GS40U1). The feed goes into a Maplin 2 way cable splitter (model BM90X), one feed going to the Pace MSS1000... the second to the Telestar.

The decoded signals are sent to the SECAM TV by means of two SCART cables into the SCART sockets of the TV.

It has just occurred to me - wonder if that cable splitter is degrading the signal? Is that a likely candidate for causing the problem?

Maybe a second LNB is the answer - with one feed going to each decoder?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes the splitter will take something away from the signal and possibly allow conflicts of polarity and band if both receivers are switched on, you may be better off using the loopthrough on the digital receiver to feed the analogue box, either that or a twin LNB (not second) and a second cable.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Thanks for the advice. I have routed the feed thru the digital box first, and then onto the Pace. The Pace still works fine.... and interestingly I am now picking up digital tv and radio channels hitherto un seen by me, on Atlantic Bird 5W.

The bad news is: I am still not picking up the French channels on 11.591 V. When I test the transponder, I am obtaining a "Signal " strength of 90 and over. But the "Quality" read out shows Zero.

Have I cocked something else up? Sorry about this... but am on the verge of giving up.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can you get that transponder with only the digital receiver connected?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Just tried, Rolf... no joy. Although, interestingly - I just picked up a load of encrypted Digi TV channels and about 40 radio channels on 12.543 H from 5W, when I searched for "all channels"

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Do you have a digital phone near the receiver, they have been known to interfere with certain frequencies.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Aha... yes there is.. less than 1 metre away. I'll disconnect this and try again.

will let you know if this works....

I really appreciate your time and expertise here.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Well.. I'll be... :)

Moved the phone and searched on 11.591 V... and I now have France 2, 3, 4 and 5, ARTE and LCP... albeit, a poor quality signal, showing up a bit patchy on screen. The signal strength still shows over 90 ... 93 max ... but the "Quality" readout is hovering between Zero and 0.1dB. Can't quite get my head around this!!

Anyway, I am not complaining! Just puzzled....

Thanks Rolf for helping me NOT to junk the whole idea of the Digital receiver!

:)

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
You're going to be sick of the sight of me.....

The transponder signal (11.591V) is still up around 85-90, quality 0 - and I have lost all reception from the French Channels. They are still stored on the receiver, but every channel on 11.591V is displaying "No signal found". The GlobeCast channel and a German Info channel are both showing perfectly, on 5W 12.543H...

Help!