French TV in the UK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried switching the phone off altogether? Also take the batteries out of the handset.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace MSS1000 Analogue receiver and Telestar Diginova2 Digital receiver
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
Phone is now in a different room... analogue feed from "Thru" socket on the Telestar digital receiver disconnected. Other TV and Radio channels from 5W are okay.

Signal strength is up over 90, permanently. Is the tuner on the receiver likely to be at fault?

You mentioned earlier, the possibility of using a twin LNB. Is it worth going down this route? What are the adavntages of this over a second LNB?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A second LNB is not an option, as you cannot make it point at the same satellite, there is only one focal point from the dish, so a twin or quad is necessary.

Are you saying that you still cannot receive that transponder?

Another option is to see if you can change the switching frequency, it is probably at around 11.600, see if it has an option to change it to 11,500.

PS. I'm assuming that you have the other transponder settings correct, as according to Lyngsat?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
both connected to 80cm dish with single Grundig Universal LNB - pointing at Atlantic Bird 5W
My Location
Hampshire
re: Second/twin LNB.... thank you.

re: Transponder reception
Nothing ... not even a bad picture....I can pick up nothing from the transponder...

My settings were taken from Lyngsat.

Freq: 11.591
Polarity: V
S/R: 20000

There are other settings displayed on Lyngsat, but which I haven't found where/how to set them on the receiver. I don't know what the "tp" stands for, or how I change this to "KB4", if that's relevant? Also "FEC" (2/3) and the "NID-TID" value 8442-1

Could this be my problem?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Shouldn't be a problem, the receiver will normally find the settings you cannot setup. TP is transponder, so doesn't need setting.

Did you actually try totally unplugging the phone and taking the batteries out of the handset?

Secondly, is there a setting whereby you can alter the 22Khz switching as I mentioned above?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Ok... now the DECT phone is disconnected completely... there's a corded one in place !

Still nothing!

Can't see anywhere to set the 22kHz, Rolf... here's my screenshots of the settings. Sorry for quality...

MAIN MENU

sat1.jpg

selected SETTINGS above and now ANTENNA CONFIG below
sat2.jpg

originally I had only one Position set up "A/A" at Telecom 2c 5w, but I added the others in an attempt to see if they would work....

sat3.jpg

when you click Proceed, this screen appears

sat4.jpg

I changed the LNB type to USER so as to highlight the values. It was set to "Single LNB". This is the frequency for France TV above
sat5.jpg

.... and on the same satellite, I can pick up the GlobeCast channel and 40 radio stations for Atlantic Bird 3 5W

Does this help cast any light on things?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
sorry, hope I havent broken any forum rules with those images.... should have posted them as attachments I think

Apologies

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No problem with the images, the main reason for uploading as an attachment is that they will then always be in the post, whereas the photbucket shots can expire or be removed. The figure I'm talking about is the transition figure, it is the figure at which the LNB switches to upper band, can you change that?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Changed transition value to 11500... signal strength shot up briefly to "103" - quality "0.1 dB" but then settled back to "82" and 0 after a few seconds...

Tell me when you've had enough of this, and I'll get me coat! :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, OK I think we perhaps have to look further then. :)

Don't suppose you have a chance to borrow a sat receiver to see if there is a fault with yours?

Can you take a picture of the dish and LNB?

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Ok will do, just as soon as I get back home...

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Here's the dish.... If you need a better shot of it, just let me know...

View attachment 4428

I actually have a Panasonic digital receiver - an old SKY Digibox, which I haven't used for years.... its a model TU-DSB20. I expect it's been restricted in some way, though...?

Worth a try... do you reckon? Or would this be a waste of time?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, the Panasonic cannot handle the symbol rate you need, it has to be a non-Sky receiver I'm afraid. Certainly doesn't appear to be anything glaring with the dish setup, the LNB skew looks OK.

Might be worthwhile resetting the digital receiver to factory settings, unplugging and rebooting to see if it will perform better.

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
Thought that the discovery of the Panasonic was too good to be true!

Ok.... factory Presets next... will report back ASAP.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try pushing the lnb back in the clamp a bit at a time - it looks like its sticking out forward a hellish long way.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Glad you noticed that, didn't catch my attention, but it should be much further back. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Interesting problem but I am a bit surprised that in none of the photos has there been an FEC value displayed. The only reason I mention it is by way of getting confirmation that it is set for 2/3 for the French Channels as the channels you are receiving OK are all 3/4... Just a Friday night thought:-beer

Brewski

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire
The missus is watching M6 on analogue and I can't get at the digital receiver - but I'll try the reset tomorrow a.m.

Same goes for the LNB... I'll have a go at that in the morning... although maybe after a couple of pints, I might have the courage to... No, just joking!

Hasta manana... :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The parameters for the fta digital French channels are

11591 V
2/3

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
When you adjust the lnb, loosen the clamp, then gently slide the bit where the lnb flares outwards lnb hard up against the clamp. I usually set mine with about a quarter of an inch gap here.

If the lnb is too close to the dish it will not "see" the entire dish.

If you get a signal, tweak up the alignment of the dish whilst you have the ladders out - the french channels are on the super beam and are stronger than the other channels on 5W!