French TV??

E

eh

Hello.
I'm a complete novice. Can anyone tell me (in basic English!) how I can pick up French TV here in the UK? What do I need? And how do I go about getting it?
Thanks.
eh

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-01 AT 04:31 PM (GMT)[/font][p]"French TV" is a very broad category.
You posted this in our "analogue" forum - does that mean you are interested in [only] those French-language channels transmitting in analogue?
Or are you potentially interested in any and all French-language TV, including the digital and PPV stuff?
You should list those channels you are interested in.

Also: do you want to stay fully legal, or are you willing to venture into the "grey area" of pirate smartcards...?
And what is your budget?
And how technically competent are you?

2old

A

asimov

Hi m8

For basic analogue channels your best bet would be virtually any fairly modern analogue, not digital, receiver, a 'universal' lnb and a 60 or 80 cm dish aimed at the French satellites at 5 degrees west.

However, all but one those that are left broadcasting will provide you with black and white pictures on most UK TV's. This is because they broadcast in a systeem called "SECAM" as opposed to PAL-I.

Of course if you want the digital channels - see the above posting.

asimov

E

eh

Thanks for the reply.
I am a French teacher and I'm just looking for any old French TV and as cheap as possible. I don't mind if it's in black and white and I'm not really interested in subscription channels. Do you know where I can get hold of the gear I need? What exactly would you recommend?

I'm not a complete techno-phobe!

Cheers.
eh

J

JohnnyB

See http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Europe.shtml, and where it says PAL or SECAM it is free analogue

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Also good to find out if you are in your own house or a flat/rented accomodation, as well as the town.

Some councils/landlords/letting agents are really funny when it comes to drilling holes in walls