Fringe Area Reception

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
I've moved to an area where Digital FREEVIEW is not available - but I know a chap down the street has manged to pick up the signal and watches FREEVIEW through a FREEVIEW receiver.

I had a chat with him - he inherited the stuff when he moved in - has no knowledge of the aerial etc.

Are there any recommended areas / sites that you chaps could reccomend to look at digital aerials (weak signal areas)

Any advice on what to look for / ignore?

Digital not switched on here until 2011.

I have FREESAT installed - but usual problems around house (1 tv only etc)

Thanks

Richard

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What chennels are available on Freeview in Alexandria ?

Can you take a picture of the neighbours set up (aerial and amplifier) ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Thanks for that

So, here's a picture of the aerial - its the back one (I think) that can receive Freeview

View attachment 11616

Haven't got the nerve to go knocking on the guys door asking questions that I don't understand.

Any thoughts?

Richard

Attachments

• Aerial.jpg
    Aerial.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 34

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The front one's a little odd. Looks like a stripline - combined four dipole assembly that's come adrift of the reflector, although that appears to be vertically polarised. Do you have a local infill transmitter for UHF in your area?

Llew

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
Being close to the sea in Orford the reception from either Sudbury or Tacolneston is very iffy.
Your neighbour might be pointing towards Dover and getting a sea path signal from there.
parky.
PS there is a local transmitter at Aldeburgh but that only carries 4 UHF channels, not CH5 and no Digital.
parky

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if he can pick up digital signals with either of those, you are not far away and are not hemmed in by trees or at the bottomn of a big hill, then you should have no problem with a decent antenna. :)

The Grid antenna must be for the local transmitter, probably worked well before it fell apart, the contract aerial is not even a particularly high gain one, so looks like good news. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Enter local rigger
'Oooooh (Sucks teeth), looks costly to replace'. :)