From Satellite Receiver to Computer

tycapel7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan plaza st 550
80 cent dish, motorised.
I have a Satellite receiver that has an external hard drive connected to it. I have tried to get Windows to recognise the file that it makes, so that I can make a DVD of what I have recorded.

The receiver is a Manhattan plaza st 550. After making a recording onto the hard drive, I take the hard drive to the computer and connect it as the secondary master, which can be read from the primary master.

I then try to read what is on it from the other hard drive on my computer. It does say that there is a media file on it, but does not recognise it as a windows file.

Widows explorer cannot read the file, so I am unable to read the file extension. I did try and have Windows on the drive before I connect it to the receiver, but it would not accept that at all. Can anyone tell me please, should I be able to read the file or convert it to mpeg using some extra software, or is there another way I have not tried yet.

Regards, Bobby.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I suspect no-one has answered you before now because they just don't know about Manhattans. What I can tell you is that if it's anything like the $ly+ box then the disk is formatted in a fashion that isn't understood by other computer operating systems.

There's also another gotcha with the $ly+ box. Even if you could read the disk the programmes are stored in the raw digital format, i.e. encrypted, and that they are decrypted every time you view them. Possibly the Manhatten does the same and, assuming that you computer does recognise the disk, the file is encrypted.

PaulR

tycapel7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan plaza st 550
80 cent dish, motorised.
Thankyou PaulR, i think you are right. I will just have to give up on this one. You are also right that nobody else will know the answer, i have posted this questune on a few sites, just no replys at all.

Regards, Bobby.

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
I think you should try to open the file using other programs like Nero, InterVideo WinDVD, InstantCD+DVD & RealPlayer. If it plays in and program, i am sure its writable into a DVD disk.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Jaffer has a good suggestion there. I suggest that if you try this that you make sure that it's an FTA programme that you have recorded.

PaulR

Nick -D-vB

Reaction score
Try opening the file with a stream analyzer like TSReader or DVBSteamExplorer,

If the file is a [transport] stream dump and you can find the PIDs for the A/V

and ECM streams you could use TSOffDec or Joshyfun's OffLine Descrambler

to decrypt it with your smartcard in a phoenix interface and a CAM emulator.

Just a thought....