FTA HD

madmonty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat-HD PVR 320Gb, and an old SKY dish. Works great in the east of England.
AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10 running at 3.6GHz with the 4th core unlocked. 3,500Gb HDD space, 8GB RAM
My Location
Suffolk, UK
New to FTA.

Can i use my existing SKY dish and a FTA HD receiver in the UK? And what free channels would i expect to receive?

I have seen a "Passion" receiver on Maplin website that says this is possible, bit i really can't afford 160 quid for something that won't work, so need some advice please.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum madmonty

I do not know where you originate but FTA here in Europe means free to air, in other word channels that are not encrypted, unfortunately in the USA it means something completely different
You have not been very explicit in your post, do you mean if you leave the dish pointing where it is or do you intend moving it.
If the former you can see from here how thin on the ground FTA HD currently is it is very early days yet

I have moved this thread to the HD section from fringe reception

madmonty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat-HD PVR 320Gb, and an old SKY dish. Works great in the east of England.
AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10 running at 3.6GHz with the 4th core unlocked. 3,500Gb HDD space, 8GB RAM
My Location
Suffolk, UK
Hi Topper.

I'm in the UK. Down in Suffolk, near Ipswich.

"You have not been very explicit in your post, do you mean if you leave the dish pointing where it is or do you intend moving it." - can do both of need be.

Not really worried if the content is SD or HD, just wondered if the Passion receiver does what it says on the box.

Also, i'm renting my house, so can't put a bigger dish up. :(

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If you are not worried about HD, you don't need to spend out £160 on a HD receiver, a SD one will do, from about £50 upwards.

The Passion should do what it says on the box, if not take it back, it should pick up all the FTA transmissions SD or HD.

Lyngsat lists all the channels that are available on every satellite.

Robbo:)

madmonty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Suffolk, UK
If i go ahead and get one of these Passion receivers would i have to update the LNB on the original SKY dish, or can i just plug-in-and-play as such?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky minidish LNB is fine, but it is pre-skewed so not great if you move the dish anywhere past 5 East.