• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FTA Receivers

Messages
266
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
#1
After reading the recent thread regarding the Virgin Media/Sky debarcle and many of the threads slagging off Sky, Freeview and cable, something has begun to puzzle me.

How come FTA satellite systems are not more actively marketed in the UK?

On the continent, you can walk into any electrical retailer and have a choice of FTA sat systems available off the shelf. A lot of the stores actively promote the sale of these systems through all available media (TV, newspaper ads, in store etc.)
Here in the UK, we have to seek out a specialist retailer or wait until the likes of Lidl and Aldi have their special promotions. The ONLY actively advertised FTA sat system is Sky's "Freesat"

Has Mr Murdoch really brainwashed so many people into thinking the only way to receive satellite TV in the UK is by having Sky installed.

Sorry about the rant, but I feel much better now I've got that off my chest.:toke:
 
Messages
1
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
topfield
My Location
w-sussex
#2
I just installed a B&Q fta system for a german family (Astra 19.2).
For £99 this was a good complete system, and they are very happy.
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
44,818
Likes
7,575
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#3
the_happy_traveller said:
After reading the recent thread regarding the Virgin Media/Sky debarcle and many of the threads slagging off Sky, Freeview and cable, something has begun to puzzle me.

How come FTA satellite systems are not more actively marketed in the UK?

On the continent, you can walk into any electrical retailer and have a choice of FTA sat systems available off the shelf. A lot of the stores actively promote the sale of these systems through all available media (TV, newspaper ads, in store etc.)
Here in the UK, we have to seek out a specialist retailer or wait until the likes of Lidl and Aldi have their special promotions. The ONLY actively advertised FTA sat system is Sky's "Freesat"

Has Mr Murdoch really brainwashed so many people into thinking the only way to receive satellite TV in the UK is by having Sky installed.

Sorry about the rant, but I feel much better now I've got that off my chest.:toke:
Simple to explain - Sky have stitched up the British public to think

satellite tv = Sky.

I ask you - how many people do you know - apart from the folks on this forum - have non Sky sat kit for their UK tv services.. Id bet it isnt very many.
 

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Messages
14,151
Likes
3,134
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
#4
Considering the fact that BSkyB is part-owned by the media giant News Corporation, it's no surprise that little information is given in its rags (Sun etc.) on systems other than Sky.

As for other media, ignorance and complacency rules, I'm afraid.

Llew
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,598
Likes
1,252
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
#5
It isn't sky, it's the UK public, if it ain't in English, it ain't TV. :-lmao Also, why would people go for satellite, when they can get pretty much the same thing from a freeview box.

When you look around Countries around Europe, France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Austria always transmitted their main terrestrial channels by satellite in analogue, partly because their terrestrial transmitter network was not as complete as it could be. Not the case in the UK, the only channel here btransmitted in analogue was channel 5 and that was encrypted and not until near the end of the UK analogue service.
 
Messages
266
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
#6
Analoguesat said:
Simple to explain - Sky have stitched up the British public to think

satellite tv = Sky.

I ask you - how many people do you know - apart from the folks on this forum - have non Sky sat kit for their UK tv services.. Id bet it isnt very many.

You're right there AS. I don't actually know anyone who uses it as their home system.I can just about name half a dozen people who use it when away in their caravans and only then when terrestrial tv is not an option. None of these people have any kind sat TV at home though.

rolfw said:
It isn't sky, it's the UK public, if it ain't in English, it ain't TV. :-lmao
The crazy thing is, there's probably more decent English language telly on the foreign sats than there is on the UK ones. OK, it takes a bit of finding, but isn't that half the fun?

As far as the public's ignorance/complacency, it reminds me of the last time Lidl had their sat systems in. Queues of people wanting to return them because they couldn't get Sky.:-rofl2