Fta

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec-Star Lifetime Classic Receiver with 65cm dish single LNB
My Location
London, UK
Hi if I get a free to air reciever and 2 satallite dishes, one pointed at Astra 28.5 and the other at Hispursat 30w can I pick up the free sky channels as well as foreign channels?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You will get the FTA channels like BBC, ITV and the free S*y shopping channels etc off 28.2 East and some FTA foreign channels off Hispasat with what you describe.

What channels are you looking at receiving and what dish sizes?

You can checkout what is available on the Lyngsat website - see the links section.

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
u will need a sky digibox for the free sky channels and a yellow house card whch u can get for a one off payment to sky. and a digital reciever for the foreign channels . one receiver will not do both jobs hope that helps

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
handyman 44 said:
u will need a sky digibox for the free sky channels and a yellow house card whch u can get for a one off payment to sky. and a digital reciever for the foreign channels . one receiver will not do both jobs hope that helps

No you dont - you can use ANY digital receiver for the free channels. You need a freesat card for C4, C5, and Sky 3 only

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
What about 2 satalitte dishes and a digi box could I pick up Hispasat on that? Was thinking of 65 or 70cm dish for Hispasat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes that should work. Get a disecq switch and you can have 28E free channels and 30W on the same box if it supports disecq switching.:)

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Thanks for advice, does anyone know what the 2 satellite kits are like in Maplins, one is Metronic with 80cm dish and is 2000 channel, other one is Fortec Star Life Time Classic digital reciever with 65cm dish. Can anyone recommend one?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you are going to use one box to do the free channels on 28.2E AND 30W, don't use a Sky digibox, use a decent box like one of the basic Technomates. If you want FTV, then get one with a CAM slot and a Dragon CAM, or a baby Dreambox.

The Sky digibox will struggle with many non 28.2E transponders, and it won't operate a DiSEqC switch.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes and also never consider a receiver with only 2000 channel capacity, it may seem adequate, but you will very quickly outgrow it.

mark2101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
First i'm gonna buy one just to pick up Hotbird 13, I want to spend max £100 for reciever and dish, can you recommend one and where to buy, then after may get motoried kit.