FTV card not working, Please Help

T

Thraxes

OK, I've got an FTV card from england and have phoned sky to have the card activated but with no luck... tried the activation a second time but that didn't work either so they sent a new card and guess what, this one doesn't work either.
The Machine works fine with the news channels and shopping crap. When on a manually programmed channel that I ought to receive with the card the machine gives me "There is a problem with your viewing card, contact your broadcaster etc..." (Error Code 02).´

Is the receiver a n NoGo?? Or is there just something that I missed?? And how do I go about getting this fixed??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Thraxes, sounds very frustrating. Several points are worth checking, first that the viewing card is chip face down (the opposite to some other boxes), try flicking it with your finger a couple of times to ensure good contact. Second, check the signal strength in the manual tuning mode of the frequencies you are trying to receive.

If the box has been inactive for a while try a forced software update, by switching off at the mains and pressing the backup button on the unit while reconnecting, keep pressed until all of the lights flash on. Do the update without the card in.

Bear in mind that the initialisation of the card can take 24 hrs in some circumstances and the box needs to be switched on for as long as it takes. The information that you have provided to Sky must also be spot on with regard to the serial number of the box etc.

Rolf

T

Thraxes

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have done all that though except rechecking the SN that Sky has. Will check that out since it wasn't me that gave them the numbers but my relatives in GB.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Dec-01 AT 02:16 PM (GMT)]Possibly, but I haven't heard of many card reader problems. How long since the last phone call to sky? As an after thought, is the unit being left on Sky news and not one of the non-Sky channels?

Rolf

T

Thraxes

Last call to sky was just 10 minutes ago. Last activation run tried was last weekend.... help :-(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would leave the box set on Sky News and leave the card in, if they are busy it may not even start for several hours. If that doesn't work, check that your default transponder is 11.778 V 27.5 2/3
, if this has been altered it may lead to problems.

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear All,

When you phone SKY do they ask you for a password ?

If not, get your folks to set one up: yesterday, already. It helps :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

wishmastertwo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
are you asking for an over air switch on. tell sky you do not have a telephone line. and you need an over air activation

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
NEVER PHONE SKY FROM OUTSIDE THE UK, THEY CAN SEE YOU ARE ABROAD! GET SOMEONE BACK HOME, AT THE CARDS REGISTERED ADDRESS TO MAKE THE CALL!
EXPAT

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
>NEVER PHONE SKY FROM OUTSIDE THE UK, THEY CAN SEE YOU ARE
>ABROAD!

Wrong.

For the last two years I have sought clarification on this very point and I have yet to receive a reply from a SKY employee (or ex-one) on ANY NG that will substantiate this belief.

My own experience is this. Most people (including myself) have all read or are aware of a well known website that says as much; i.e., DON'T. Do you have personal experience of this expat :-)

Equally, I have not, to date, heard of an end user having their card disabled simply because they phoned from abroad. I could be on a business trip in Paris and wish to have the MU game ready for when I get home :-)

Anyway, I'm not saying the journey is an easy one. First, they assume that all subscriber's have taken up the subsidy (which requires a phone connection).

Worst still, the very idea that you have purchased you're own box AND don't have a phone connection is anathema to them. Thus resulting in merriment lasting up to several weeks.

Whatever. To make my point - yes you can.

I (sic) activated a card from Berlin today for a friend in the UK ;-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Well, I stand corrected! Good to know if I need to call!