fuzzy signal on second tv

jezmunky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd, feed to another room. PC uses sky broadband but is separate to TV. Playstation 3 - Wireless from PC.
My Location
High Wycombe
Hi All, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm being driven mad by poor signal but want to get advice before wasting money on amplifers etc.

Basic setup is Sky HD which feeds back into the the socket to allow viewing in other rooms. The link cables in my house were set up quite strangely so the feed is perfect downstairs, upstairs it is fine. The problem is that 2 links are joined together (i don't use it upstairs but do in the third location). On the third location (a bedroom) the signal seems a little grainy for sky channels and is worse for everything else.

If that made no sense, I'll try to summarise it here:

Lounge SKY HD ---> feed out to room 2 ----> feed to bedroom.

The total cable length is probably no more than 30m. Do I need to put an amplifier in room 2? or the bedroom?

Thanks!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How are you splitting the signal in the bedroom?

jezmunky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd, feed to another room. PC uses sky broadband but is separate to TV. Playstation 3 - Wireless from PC.
My Location
High Wycombe
Ok, the feed from the sky box goes into the wall via a satellite outlet module F type _http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX113M.html

It comes out in the bedroom through the same socket type although I could rewire it as the bedroom as one of those and a Triplex - TV Sat FM Triplexed Outlet Module _http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX132M.html

In the middle room the cables are currently joined with 2 satellite plug F type and a coupler. I can connect them to the Quadplexed Outlet Module that is currently just filling the slot but not connected. _http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX241M.html
If i do connect them do I need to plug anything into the front to create the link?

Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Still not quite sure what you mean.

Are you saying that there is a cable (with outlet at each end) between the main room and the bedroom, then another to the bedroom you want to feed? Or are they joined together using "F" connectors behind a multiple outlet plate? Perhaps some photos or a diagram would help.

jezmunky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
High Wycombe
Hi Rolf,

the feed goes from the lounge to the mezanine which is then connected with f connectors behind the outlet and then onto the bedroom.

I've tried instead of connecting with f connectors using the multiple outlet on the mezanine with a loop of cable to complete the link. The total run is about 30 meters although it may be longer depending on how they routed it through the building. Reading around suggests that isn't long enough to need to be amplified but I don't know!

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello i saw this and wanted to comment.
if you are feeding the signal backwards through the centralized system it will look verry fuzzy.
usualy they have signal splitters in the wall that takes the areal signal and splitts it to every room.
these splitters will not flow the signal backwards through the system without eating the signal.
if you ran a line from the box to the tv direct with no splitters its a different case.
you can run a coax from the back of the box direct to the tv and use a t splitter which will loose 4 bd in the splitting process and run this to tv sets
in the house.
be sure not to short the coax when you put the f connector on were as the outer brade will tuch the outer part and never the center conductor.
you will get better results.
even a slight wisker of brade shorted in the system will give you a fuzzy picture.
hope this helps
ralph:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
30m should be OK, providing the connections are good, but are you sure that the cables go direct, rather then than via a central place in the apartment? A good connection using "F" connectors and a female to female "F" adapter will only lose 1db or so.

jezmunky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
High Wycombe
thanks for your answers guys, I've gone back to an F connector linking the 2 upstairs and the signal is only a little bit fuzzy, if you stand next to the tv it looks like there are tiny blue dots around the screen - suspect wire is longer than 30m and doesn't go direct. thanks again for your help!