General Guidance - Receiving Channels

J

jonboy

I have just brought a sky digital box Grundig 310/2 to put in my home. I live in an apartment that has a comunal satalie, i've just brought the cable that goes from the back of the digibox to the wall socket (satalite socket). I've been told by my landlord that I should just be able to plug it in and away I go. I have also received a BBC viewing card which I need to enable. Once this is done I should be able to receive the Free channels yeah ? What Im really after is signing up a contract with BSkyb to receive a family pack. I've been told they might not do it for me due to the fact that I have installed it myself, i don't have a phone line and I may not be able to sign up for 12 months. Can you let me know what other means and ways I have for receiving more channels than just the free ones ? Im not sure if I can view further channels or what I need to do next.. Which is the best way for me to receive ITV2, and the MTV channels. Thats all im interested in at this moment in time. Hope someone doesn't mind advising. Many Thanks - Jon

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Jon,

The phone line is not necessary as you have bought your own box, Sky will be more than happy to let you subscribe, but I believe that the minimum contract is for 1 year, so on the minimum contract you would lose just over a tenner per month for time that you couldn't use it, up to the 12 months. There's nothing to stop you putting a dish up when you leave of course.

The BBC card should be activated when you phone them to say that you've received the card.

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
Originally posted by jonboy
Which is the best way for me to receive ITV2, and the MTV channels. Thats all im interested in at this moment in time. Hope someone doesn't mind advising. Many Thanks - Jon
ITV2 is available for free via digital terestrial. Just buy a set top box. there will shortly be a new "freeview" service launching on DTT wich includes one MTV music channel and one EMAP music channel.