General problem with subtitles

Matkosirko

Reaction score
Website
www.matrikul.fo
My Location
Faroe Islands
I have Amstrad DRX100 digibox and I don't know if it is normal, but our subtitles are many times cut in half sentence, or just few sentences do not appear at all. I could say that in average about 10% subtitles are missing.

It is really annoying. Our native language is not English and so it is much easier to understand when the subtitles are on.

I want to ask if this is normal behaviour, or is it just with Amstrad DRX100 digibox. This is our second digibox of this kind, and I really do not like it, but since we do not live in England, it is not so easy for us to get some other kind.

dardiotis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
greece
i agree my friend. this problem is not existed a week ago. the problem begined, when the movie channels changed in wide movie screen. If some or the responsible fo this foroum know the technical e-mail or tel of skydigital, ask him to apply to technicals of skydigital (or carry out the adress) so to correct this problem.

Matkosirko

Reaction score
Website
www.matrikul.fo
My Location
Faroe Islands
You wrote that this problem didn't exsist week ago. But I had this problem all the time, (about 1,5 year.) Now I am using digibox in Widescreen mode, but I used it also in 4:3 mode and I had problem with subtitles as long as I remember.

I guess it is not so important for people whose native language is English. But for us, who are just in process of learning subtitles can be of big help, and if it is not working as it should, it is little anoying :(

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, I dont watch the films with subs in general but as my girlfriend is german and she does I sometimes have to. Are you sure its a technical problem and not supposed to be so ?
As we were watching with subs I noticed that the sentances were always shortened but still made sense. The reason for shortening is because the subtitles are changed so quickly to keep up with the dialogues. If they subbed the full sentances you'd be reading the dialogues from 3 or 4 minutes ago.

Methos.

Matkosirko

Reaction score
Website
www.matrikul.fo
My Location
Faroe Islands
You are right, that the sentences are sometimes shortened. But that is a different story.

I really mean that there come just part of sentence or just nothing. Often are two or three sentences missing, and then it comes back.

For example they say in TV: "There are many people swiming in the pool, today"l And text which comes with subtitles stands this:"swiming in the pool, today".
If I would have problems with hearing, many times I would not understand the meaning.

Can it be problem with Amstrad 100DRX box? Because I've got now the second one, after first got broken, and subtitles are working same way as with the first one.

dardiotis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
greece
my friend there is realproblem specially with premier 1,2,3.
today i watched the movie "the others" on premier 3. The subtitles was cutted off and setences was leaved out. A week ago i watched the same movie. A that time no one problem existed!!

Matkosirko

Reaction score
Website
www.matrikul.fo
My Location
Faroe Islands
Maybe you are right, that there is a problem only with Premier 1,2,3. I will try to watch carefully, and find out if I have subtitles problems with these particular channels, or also the others.

But I am sure, that I have this problem ever since I've subscribed to sky.

Otherwise it seams that nobody have the same problem as me, or probably not so many people use subtitles so they do not know if there is problem.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, I'll check out a couple of proggys this evening and over the weekend. Unfortunately I wont be able to let you know until tuesday whats up with my box. I have a SKY+ Pace 1st generation. Lets see if its any different.
Have a nice weekend.

Methos.

dardiotis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
greece
i insist again that trere is technical problem specally premier 1,2,3.
now while i wrire this post (19.05 pm) the premier 1 plays the movie "spy kids". The epg writes (T, W, DD). But no subtitles is trasmitted, not existe!!

Matkosirko

Reaction score
Website
www.matrikul.fo
My Location
Faroe Islands
I was watching BBC1, E4, ITV, Discovery channels and some Movie channels, and everywhere was this problem. Completely missing sentences and half sentences.

When there are no subtitles at all where they should be, that is different problem, I think.

Dardiotis, are you sure, that you do not have problems like me?

It seems, that there is no solution to this problem. But since I can hear, I can live with it. I am wondering what will Methos_De find out through the weekend.

Thanks for help.

dardiotis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
greece
I think that trere is both of these problems, and half setences ... , and none subtitles there, where should have subtiles (where the EPG writes T, W, DD). In whom we must apply to correct this problem?
I have called to technical department of skydigital. i think that all of us who believe that trere is problem an that skydigital must correct the trasmission of subtitles must do the same!

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi Guys, sorry it took a bit longer. Lot to do at work :(
I have the same problem as you. The problem only occurs with my box on Premier 1,2,3 the other channels all appear to be working fine.
On Premier 1,2,3 the subtitles work for 2 maximum 3 sentances then they are either gone completely or are only half of what has been said.
I'm using a first generation SKY+ box.

Methos.

dardiotis

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
greece
i post the answers from sky 's respondibles

a. answer 11/6/2003 from sky/disabityThank you for your email

we are aware of the technical fault with subtitles and are working to correct the problem. Normal service should be resumed soon. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to your viewing. This is a technical fault at Sky, there is no problem with your set top box.

Sky Disability service

b. answer 11/6/2003 from Viewer Relations
"Thank you for your e-mail about subtitles on Sky Movie Premier channels. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

Firstly, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced with the loss of subtitles. I can confirm our engineers are aware of the problem, and are trying to rectify this problem.

Thanks, once again, for contacting us. We always welcome customers' comments and actively encourage viewers' feedback.

Kind regards
Gordon Smith
Viewer Relations "

my comment:
let 's hope that they solve the problem!!