General type question thingy, A.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
hi guys,

I'm planning getting a dreambox but i was wondering is the HUMAX IRCI5400Z(G) really that good, pulsat labels it a 'megabuy'. Does anyone of you guys have one and what's so special about it? I know it's a trivial type of question but :ch2. Also interested in logging because well i like logs, can you do that with the dreambox or even this humax model?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Striker10 said:
hi guys,

I'm planning getting a dreambox but i was wondering is the HUMAX IRCI5400Z(G) really that good, pulsat labels it a 'megabuy'. Does anyone of you guys have one and what's so special about it? I know it's a trivial type of question but :ch2. Also interested in logging because well i like logs, can you do that with the dreambox or even this humax model?
If people who have bought it say it was a megabuy then you might listen. But do you really take notice of dealers when they use OTT words?

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Yes i'm quite possibly that dumb :chc . Ofcourse your right though, I think i made such a mess of my last purchase my confidence is all shot to pieces.. :elf

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Striker10 said:
Yes i'm quite possibly that dumb :chc . Ofcourse your right though, I think i made such a mess of my last purchase my confidence is all shot to pieces.. :elf

I think its fair to say the we all at sometimes buy things that we regretted. You learn from it. Believe me. And your right to ask a lot before you buy something. Good luck on what you choose. (Thats the luck of the Irish) lol.

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum and i`d like to say Merry Christmas to all and especially to john who has guided me to what i think(HOPE) is the right choice to make. I have purchased this evening an absolute bargain in the shape of a dreambox 7000-s with a 160gb hard drive for the princely sum of 374euros(£262.75p to the rest of us:ch1 ) from a german seller on e-bay.

Thanks john for your advice and all your future advice(cos i`m gonna need it;) )

mbranco

Order of "Knight of the Idiot Guide"
Reaction score
....enjoy your new DB, be prepared not to sleep during the nights in the next months of your new hobby, and (this I have to tell you in quality of the official role I've in this forum) I strongly recommend you to Read The Manual before write your future posts!!

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=24618

P.S. about images in usb/hd (that's in another thread), please note that it's very annoying to have the hd continuously spinning, so it's quite better to have images only in usb...

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
mbranco said:
....enjoy your new DB, be prepared not to sleep during the nights in the next months of your new hobby, and (this I have to tell you in quality of the official role I've in this forum) I strongly recommend you to Read The Manual before write your future posts!!

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=24618

P.S. about images in usb/hd (that's in another thread), please note that it's very annoying to have the hd continuously spinning, so it's quite better to have images only in usb...
Hi mbranco,
Yes i have read it twice so far and no doubt i will read it alot more in the coming months, i think i`m suffering from mental block now so i will give it a break until after boxing day, I will still be checking the forums so any advice thats not already in the idiots guide is most welcome.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Guys,

Bought my DM7000S in March and am still absolutely delighted with it.
Striker, as I understand it the 5400 & DB do much the same sort of thing. Have noticed at toes several converting from 5400 to DB though!
Have also noticed both here and toes, people frustrated to the point of despair with DB. The DB needs careful attention to detail. When following instructions they must (usually) be followed absolutely to the letter. If you don't understand part of a set of instructions, either read more or ask don't guess or you'll only make trouble for yourself and those trying to help you sort out the mess. I read Klona's guide before I got the DB (didn't make much sense then) but it helped when I then re-read the necessary bits as I set up my DB once I'd bought it.

None of it is really difficult, although you will have problems but with perseverance and if necessary, help, you will sort it out. DB's are great!!!

73 & wood gishes.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
* mbranco... very good point about the disk running all the time.

* td03-5 Agreed. Klonas guide is an absolute must-read for any newbie. It certainly got me going (oooh errr...). Check out the latest English version at :-

_http://www.dreambox.net.au/%7Eklona/guide_eng/dbox-howto.htm

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Striker 10, DB is a good choice.It will be difficult at first,but im sure you will manage with plenty of help provided from the forum.Im 18 and have had my DB from May.Progress was slow at the start, but it's running sweet at the minute.Can I reconomend the hydra zeus image for you to start of with.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
bigmantank said:
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum and i`d like to say Merry Christmas to all and especially to john who has guided me to what i think(HOPE) is the right choice to make. I have purchased this evening an absolute bargain in the shape of a dreambox 7000-s with a 160gb hard drive for the princely sum of 374euros(£262.75p to the rest of us:ch1 ) from a german seller on e-bay.

Thanks john for your advice and all your future advice(cos i`m gonna need it;) )

I think you will be able to manage no problem, reading a few of you posts you seem fairly up to date with things Plus you have Stevo as well & all of the gang here.

Striker10

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
top of flats, london
Cheers to all the replies. Yep i'm gonna get a db :chthumb i'm studying a+ so doing that and owning a db should make for an interesting year anyway...:-) merry christmas all and i'll be sure to tell you of my 'woes' when they happen :rolleyes:

neethan30

Reaction score
I have had a problem writing to dreambox through ftp, I can get all the folders but cannot add new files to the various folders var/scce, I have tried deleting some files, it would let me do that but when I try to put files back no luck,
I was considering using a cross over cable still trying to get it to work, any tips any one?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What DreamBox/image are you using?

Have you checked that you have space to copy?

neethan30

Reaction score
gameboy said:
What DreamBox/image are you using?

Have you checked that you have space to copy?
I have db 7000 /ru dream image and i am sure its not the space because for instance doing a chmod from 655 to 755 on var/scce/ keylist file does not work