German TV

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Broadband
Basic box
My Location
Edinburgh
Hi, I'm new here and don't know much about the different satellite boxes, however I am studying German and would really like to get German TV in my house (I live in Scotland). I'm only really interested in German channels and maybe even some Italian but I also would really like ''German MTV''.

Could anyone please advise me on which satellite box would be recommended for what I am after?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Fern

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Pretty much any free to air digital receiver and an 80cm dish should achieve your aims.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
As rolf says or....
If you can get hold of an old analogue box for not a lot of money then you'd have more german than you could swallow.
I got my analogue box of a tv engineer friend who was going to bin it.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
There's lots of excellent free German tv on Astra1, and it's the easiest satellite to get in England (I use a 40cm dish, the smallest size!). However, going into northern Scotland, the signal power hugely decreases, and you rapidly start needing a much larger dish. For more info, Google "astra 1 footprint" (search for images).

Almost any free-to-air type digital sat receiver will get these channels (even a Sky digibox will, using "other channels", worth doing if you can find one very cheap). A "blind scan" receiver is useful, this will automatically find new channels, which saves constantly checking on Internet. However, most receivers have a built-in channels database, which should be fairly accurate.

To find transponder and channel details, look at www.satcodx.com, for 19E.

A CAM (conditional access) receiver will additionally get subscription channels, but it's unlikely you'll want to pay for these, as there's loads of free ones.

(added) there's also some free RAI channels on Hotbird, for getting both Astra1 and Hotbird together you can buy a special "monobloc" single lnb, but the receiver must then have diseqc, note that Sky digiboxes don't.

added - for just the free German/Italian channels on Astra1/ Hotbird, see:

www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Germany.html .
www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Italy.html .

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
I am learning German too and i use a cheap Digital reciever that i got off eBay for 50 quid. It does a good job, although i am upgrading soon because i am a bit of a satellite junkie at heart. Unless you are bothered about sports, movies etc, i find that i am spoiled for choice with my set up. 2 of the best channels for learners, depending on the level you are at are Bahn TV and Neun live, as they repeat a lot of content/phrases. I would try to stretch to a digital reciever over an analogue one as analogue will not be around for ever and there are more channels on digital (although not `loads` more) You might want to have a look at my thread titled `Subtitling on digital receivers` in the Digital Systems forum

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yes, that would get the free German and Italian channels, at a "good" price. You'd find it hard to buy the separate bits cheaper.

Sometimes Lidl sell sat receivers/kits, cheaper, but only occasionally, and they sell out very quickly!