Getting a DVD Recorder soon

taywood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SkyStar2 to PC and ProgDVB, DVBDream and to TM1500CI+Super
My Location
NW Lancashire
No experience of these, its a Sony RHD-HX512S, and I believe I will need to login all my available channels.
I've a 20in TV/VCR combi with one scart. My Comag digi sat has the incoming aerial, looped into the Pace analog. The two scarts from these boxes go into an either/or switched scart box the lead goes into the Freeview and into TV. Terrestrial aerial goes to Freeview and into TV.

I'm planning to sit the DVD Recorder between Freeview and TV. The aerial and scart which went to TV will now go to DVDRec and a new scart and aerial lead will go from DVDRec to TV.
I hope, unless you see an error there.

Terr TV and Freeview are both on O1 (Terr) and the sat receivers are on AV1. AV2 is not used.
I'm worried in advance that during the intial programme search the DVD Recorder may not pick up and login the Freeview channels and even worse may not pick up and log in the satellite channels because of the way this lot is setup.
Do I have cause to worry.

taywood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Lancashire
No guidance yet from anyone and I see I've been moved to here.

Got the recorder this morning, its setup as above, and I AM worried now.
I'm working thru the actions in the guide and when logging in the available channels its only caught the old five terrestrial ones which I dont use.

Its an analogue recorder so I now suspect it wont pickup the Freeview or Comag channels BUT I do NEED Eurosport on the Pace analogue receiver at least so that I can record events on the timer in my absence.

How do I get the recorder to do that and will it record this way from the analogue sat recorder using the installation I've described above.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry taywood, moved it last night, as Analogue Systems section refers to analogue satellite receivers, but didn't have time to answer your question. :)

Loop the RF cable first through freeview box, then through both satellite receivers then through the recorder and to the TV, tune them in as additional channels to your normal five and you can then record them.

Just going to have some lunch, will draw a diagram to work out the rest when I come back. :)

Can you either give a link to the spec of your DVD or scan the input diagram, as we need to know what input selection it has.

taywood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW Lancashire
Sorry, I dont know what you need but in the specification is Inputs and Outputs as follows
Line 2 Out
Audio Phono jack/2vrms/10Kilohms
Video Phono jack/1.0 Vp-p
S Video 4pin mini din/Y:1.0 Vp-p C:0.3 Vp-p PAL
Line 2 In/Line 4 In
Audio Phono Jack/2 vrms/more than 22 kilohms
Video Phono Jack 1.0 Vp-p
S Video 4 pin mini DIN/Y:1.0Vp-p C:0.3 Vp-p PAL
Line 3/Decoder 21 pin
CVBS In/Out
S Video RGB In
S Video OUT (downstream)
Decoder
Digital OUT (Optical) Optical output jack/ -18 dBm wave length 660nm
Digital OUT (Coaxial) Phono Jack
Component Video OUT (Y, Pa/Ca, Pr/Cr)

If this doesnt help where should I be looking?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I was trying to work out whether it could be used to manage all of the incoming devices, prior to connection to the TV. It sounds like you have enough incoming connections to connect every device into the recorder via line or scart.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
This has nothing to do with your set up but have you looked at getting a hard drive recorder with dvd. I have a sony one bought last year for 600 euro. Dont even use it now anymore. Big huge ugly thing. Oh I used it the other day to put Shrek 2 onto dvd from sky + for my nephew. Between dvd discs not working properly and software problems with the machine itself Its really was`nt worth the money. Although alot cheaper now. But still would`nt take one for nothing.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Looks like you need some scart-to-phono cables for those inputs.

I think the channel scan on your recorder might be just for tuning the UHF channels and not for the line inputs - which would explain why they are not found. I would try your original idea, connecting the scart from the freeview into one of the inputs (line3 for example), then set the input source on the recoder to line3 when you want to record from Sat/Freeview.

I have a similar setup to you. My solution is to use UHF modulators to add the Satellite and Freeview outputs into the terrestrial aerial cable. That aerial signal is then distributed to several TV sets throughout the house. On each TV, channels 1-5 are Terrestrial, 6 is Sat, 7 is Freeview, 8 is Video and 9 is DVD/HDD Recorder. I think that you could simplify your cabling by modulating at least one of your decoders onto the aerial cable.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=54688