Getting Channel 4,E4 and 5 in UK, sorry if wrong forum

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
Hi i live in the uk and i heard for some reason you cannot get channel 4, E4 or 5 in the uk from a "free to air" system but you can on freeview, why is this? its abit strange since channel 4 is terrestrial.

I also heard that some channels stream it so what you can watch it but i dont know what these channels are.

anybody know which channel offer channel 4 or E4 on free to air if its possible.

if not its ok ill just have to live without them.

thanks

p.s. sorry if this has been asked 10000 times before

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Certain channels, on Astra 2, are FTV (Free to View), not FTA (Free to Air) which means they are viewable using a card, this doesn't mean you have to subscribe to S*y, you can just pay a one off fee and get a FTV card.
If you have a TV, DVD recorder, with a digital tuner, or just a freeview box then you should be able to get all these channels via an aerial, check your area to see what kind of signal strength you get.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
E4 is a subscription channel on satellite.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
well im not too bothered about channel 5 in the uk because it doesnt show all that much its just channel 4 and e4.

I dont have a freeview box, just this satellite system but i have the normal 5 terrestrial channels so i can get channel 4 until the analogue gets switched off but what i dont get is why does free to view have channel 4 and all its equivelants and free to air doesnt.

anyways my receiver doesnt have any card slots but if i had a receiver with card slots i can by a certain FTV card plug it in and then i can get channel 4(its equivelants) and 5 is this correct?

also i saw somewhere that some foreign channels actually stream channel 4, i might of misread something but i sure i read somewhere that some foreign channels stream it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
E4 is most definitely subscription only on satellite.

The FTV card generally speaking needs a sky digibox, although advanced users can get it to work in a dragon cam or a dreambox

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
So i cannot get it work on a reciever such as a technomate with common interface slots, i need a receiver with cam slots not CI slots?

So any receiver what allows cam slots or allows me to put slots in will do because my mate does this sort of stuff and he cannot get it either but theres certain readers you can get hold of so im persuming a special type of reader will accept FTV cards, is this right i can use a reciever with cam slots or will i need strickly a dreambox.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dragon/Trex cams work with sky cards. Yes you would be able to use a receiver qith cam slots (assuming it doesnt have any compatibility issues with the Dragon/.Trex cam.)

BTW you will still need a sky digibox to activate a card & so the card gets its stay alive signals once a month or so.

robcreig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital thompson receiver
My Location
mayo, ireland
can u tune in channel 5 in ireland

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup