Getting channels from Thor at 1W (bit of a newbie)

My Location
Swansea, UK
Hi.

I'm in Wales and I've got an 80cm dish and an analogue box which is currently receiving the broadcast of TV4 from Thor 2. Pretty good picture as long as I keep the dish well aimed.

But the bastards are switching that signal off at the end of March. I really want to continue getting TV4 and perhaps whatever else I can get from Thor, so obviously I'm going to need a digital decoder.
TV4 is part of a digital package which costs nothing for people living in Sweden... but how the heck do I get the card to watch it over here? I don't want to pay a fortune, and will consider using something 'dodgy' if I have to...
Also, will I need a bigger dish or a different 'trumpet' bit for digital? I doubt the signal can degrade as nicely as analogue does.

Any advice would be greatfully received - I'm not too sure where to start.

Regards,
DaveB

Razor

My Location
Ireland
First thing you need to do is get yourself a Digital receiver...Buy a copy of What Satellite MAG. and have a look at the adds...some do deals ...Buy a box and get a free LNB. When you have the box we can talk about dish size...80cm may be too small for Thor.

G

GotMyBusPass

Here is an interesting site, http://www.nordic-satellite.com/ , you can look at and find lots of information about Thor.

Click on footprints, then the Thor satellite ie Thor 2 or 3, you will then get a contour map with dish sizes on it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
To be honest Dave, I would not commit yourself to thinking its a definite possibility. Unless you are able to believe that any viewing of the programme content of TV4 is a bonus, then you wont be too disappointed.

Some customers of mine have been able to get subscription cards for Finnish TV in the UK , there is a chance that the Swedish broadcasters will allow the basic package cards to be supplied outside of Scandinavia. For this then you will require a receiver able to process Conax transmissions, (Force has a couple of models , I will be testing a PVR model later this month )