Getting German TV in UK

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
Hi, I'm new here and hope someone can help.

Is there a company I need to use to get my existing Sky+ setup to allow me to get german TV?

Thanks

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Oh dear oh dear, why would you want to do that??? Usually it is the other way round...
I am not sure there is much German TV on 28 E. If you really want to watch German TV you will need to get a dish to point to Astra 19 E and a receiver as well. The sky equipment is not really suitable for working with 2 satellites. It is not too difficult, and would not cost a lot if it is basic German TV you are after.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Getting German TV in the UK is probably easier (well, at least cheaper) than getting multi-channel English TV.

All you need is an analogue set top box, from a car boot sale, a dump, second hand shop, charity shop anywhere like that for a few quid...

and nearly ANY dish (which is currently not in use - you wont be able to use the dish you use for Sky+). For a maximum of about £20

It's a very strong signal, very easy to align the dish (can probably be done it about 30 seconds).

And your sorted.. See www.analoguesat.co.uk

The channels are Free-To-Air and require no subscription, nothing complicated at all :D

You can expect to get ARD, ZDF, Pro7, Sat1, Kabel Eins, RBB, DSF, Eurosport, MTV and more.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello ElP

If I were you I wouldn't bother with Analogue at this time. it will be closing down before too long, and the cost of going for digital is not too great.

Get yourself a FTA Digital Box and a seperate dish for 19.2E, and you will get not only all the regional variants, but also the Extra Channels such as ARD Extra/Festival/and Plus, and of course many other European FTA services as well.

Later you could add another LNB to get 13E at a minimal cost.

Reception should be strong and I don't suppose you will have to replace your equipment for several years.

If you want any further advice, don't hesitate to come back and ask.

Regards

W.H.

PS. to get some idea of what is available to you have a look here:

http://www.satcodx2.com/_data/0192.txt

and here:

http://www.satcodx1.com/_data/0130.txt

Just <Select All> <Copy> and paste into Excel as <Paste Special> <Text> then run Auto Filter for 'TV-DIG' to see what is there.

PPS. BTW To answer you original question, yes you could get limited reception via your Sky Box, but you would need at the very least a seperate LNB and preferably a extra dish, and dear old Rupe has made it as difficult as possible for his kit to be used to receive anything other than his own stuff.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
PPS.

Just spotted this on another thread - could be just what you need:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20050901.p.Digital_Satellite_Dish_Receiver_Set

Regards

W.H.

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
w hole said:
PPS.

Just spotted this on another thread - could be just what you need:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20050901.p.Digital_Satellite_Dish_Receiver_Set

Regards

W.H.

YOINKS!!

Can some one tell me if this is the kit I need please if so I can go and get one and set myself up:)

Do I read it right it is a kit to obtain euro channels rather than sky?

If so how do I switch from sky+ to the euro dish?

All help most welcome thank you

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello EP

The idea would be to set this up in addition to your Sky+ and treat as a new source, as if you were adding a DVD or VCR.

Either through SCART [possibly with an extension set] or via a RF Link.

This would then give you your FTV Euro Channels.

This would include Eurosport, but only with a German Soundtrack [The programming is sometimes different to that seen on British Eurosport]

Regards

W.H.

PS. Hope there is not too much jarjon in above - if so please ask.

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
It is mentioned that with the sky + box you can't receive other channels than on 28,2E. What is no special about this box that you can't watch other digital programs ? I thought digital receiver is digital receiver. I can watch FTA stuff on 28,2E and 28,5E with my box, what is this with Skybox so special then ?

Besides why a seperate dish ? Why not a multifeed arm for an extra LNB?

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
I don't understand all this stuff :(

So are you saying I could buy another LNB and somehow fix it to my exisiting dish?

I think having a seperate dish and receiver and a switch to flip between it an sky+ seems an easier setup?

claasi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
105 cm motor dish with 75E to 45 W - Openbox 820 CI
My Location
Germany- Munich
Look at the picture and you will get the idea. You can place these feedarms on one dish. So you do not have to switch between receivers and dishes which is rather silly when the sats are close by.

What you just need is a diseqc switch because only one cable goes into the receiver and both cables have to be combined from the LNB's

H.GEE

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
claasi said:
It is mentioned that with the sky + box you can't receive other channels than on 28,2E. What is no special about this box that you can't watch other digital programs ? I thought digital receiver is digital receiver. I can watch FTA stuff on 28,2E and 28,5E with my box, what is this with Skybox so special then ?

You can swing your dish to 13deg or 19deg and get many fta channels using the sky box. It will depend on the frequency and symbol rate as the sky box doesnt give the symbol rate coverage that other digi receivers do. Sky use mostly 27500 3/4 and you should get plenty of fta that use that symbol rate. Have done it for a friend that wanted the Thai fta channel on 13deg. Use the menu and program the new frequencies into the box.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I still think that watching other sats on Sky boxes is not a good option as the menus and editiong options for the stations are crap...a cheap digital receiver is much better, and they don't cost a lot nowadays.

H.GEE

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
T_G said:
I still think that watching other sats on Sky boxes is not a good option as the menus and editiong options for the stations are crap...a cheap digital receiver is much better, and they don't cost a lot nowadays.

I do agree with you T G....I think the sky box was designed to keep you on 28deg .as many people wouldnt bother to try other satellites with it.

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
Yeah, I must admit I prefer the option of putting in a seperate dish/receiver to get the alternat euro channels.

So if I get the system from lidl will I need some sort of switching device too?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
claasi said:

A sky box is a semi crippled pile of scrap. Its barely worthy of the name digital receiver O-Ha

Well to be honest, its brilliant at what it does - gives Joe Unwashed access to 500 channels of shopping adverts without too many problems and no technical knowledge, but is effectively useless for anything else - if for no other reason you can only add 50 channels to it.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
elpuerco said:
Yeah, I must admit I prefer the option of putting in a seperate dish/receiver to get the alternat euro channels.

So if I get the system from lidl will I need some sort of switching device too?

Hello EP

Not if you wire it directly to you TV Room and then connect it up as a new device.

In other words - Set up the New Dish - Run the cable from the LNB to your TV Room and then to the New Box - then connect the New Box to you TV either via a SCART or via the RF Outlet.

Regards

W.H.

PS Feel free to PM me if you wish..

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
W Hole, thanks for the info :)

Just tried to PM you but am told I don't have accesss?

So to confirm in laymans terms... :)

I get the lidl sat pack
intsall it
run the cable to the new receiver which can sit next to my sky+
plug the output from the new receiver to a spare scart on the TV
when I want to switch to euto tv just select the appropriate av channel.

Have I got it now? :)

Cheers

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello EP

Sorry about the PM - will have to check that out.

Have been away over w/end, so didn't read you post until now.

Difficult to say which is best without full details, but both should do the trick.

YES - you seem to have got the gist of it as far as the setting up is concerned.

FYI - strictly speaking you need Planning Permission to erect more than one dish on the same house, but unless you have 'picky' neighbours or planning officers, you probably won't get any agro.

Let us know how you get/got on.

Regards

W.H.

elpuerco

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Northamptonshire
Well I got the dish from Lidl this morning as I decided it was the better deal in the end. All I have to do now is install it :)

Thnx :)

Will keep you posted